Quadrium: Awesome.

quadrium2 : build, mutate, evolve, animate : images, textures, fractals, art
exocubic

Quadrium: Awesome.

Post by exocubic » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:33 am

Just wanted to drop by and say thanks for this amazing bit of software. I have no idea what 95% of it actually does, and certainly no grasp of the mathematics behind it all- but am addicted just the same.

Some things I helped Quadrium make:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exocubic/

ps A way to cancel out of operations (a cold bucket of water on a breeding pair, for instance) would be nice. I've actually had to force quit Quadrium a few times to unfreeze my system.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:46 pm

Wait until you see what you can do with 1.1 - besides a whole lot of extensiions to the various fractals (including being able to type your own formulas), you'll be able to make movies (basically, you pick two "key frames" and it'll make a movie between those two frames). Turns out being able to say "find an image half way between these settings and these settings" is really useful beyond making movies...

Really like the tentacle picture - it's really simple, yet subtle. It's always fun to see what other people can cook up with it (especially since I tend to always use the same set of nodes)

It sounds like you've found a bug in the breeding code there (since it shouldn't never "spin forever"). If you can get a reproducable case (I know, since it uses random stuff all over it's pretty tough to reproduce problems) I can fix it.

exocubic

Thanks, oh Immortal One

Post by exocubic » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:59 pm

Sounds interesting... any idea of an ETA on 1.1? By the way, would it be possible to adjust the size of the thumbnails in the breeding pool and mutate windows? I'm running 1680x1050 resolution and the thumbs take some squinting at their current size.

"Really like the tentacle picture - it's really simple, yet subtle. It's always fun to see what other people can cook up with it (especially since I tend to always use the same set of nodes)"

Thanks- I'm always setting up little breeding experiences (fractal pr0n?)

"It sounds like you've found a bug in the breeding code there (since it shouldn't never "spin forever"). If you can get a reproducable case (I know, since it uses random stuff all over it's pretty tough to reproduce problems) I can fix it."

I'll keep watch and send over any .quadd files that hang.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:25 pm

I'm hoping to have 1.1 out within the next month, perhaps sooner, depending on what the testers find.

As for larger thumbnails, 1.1 doubles their size (since you really want to see larger versions in so many cases). It also speeds up their rendering by upwards of a factor of 3 (or more in some special cases - turns out that the thumbnail rendering didn't use Altivec like the full view did - which is really noticable in the starting point browser).

I've also got a few other quadrium surprises in the pipeline in the post 1.1 timeframe.

exocubic

Excellent!

Post by exocubic » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:16 am

Bigger thumbs already added? Nice. You must be psychic.

As to the Altivec not rendering the thumbs- I had noticed this, and was working with Altivec off in order to have a more WYSIWYG preview. Am I taking a pretty big performance hit on my iMac G5 for this?

Jane

Post by Jane » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:38 pm

Dear Exocubic,
I can't view your images on flickr, I will bet they are pretty too.
But anyway, here is one of mine that I am using in a class.

http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?pictu ... kbQDAI7sw0

The actual Fractal is somewhat obscured by KPT Noise filter, and the marbles I made with Photoshop.
We are working on composite images, tons of fun!
I am sooooooo glad I found Quadrium!
Jane