Since quadrium extensively uses every available resource on the system (supporting both multiple CPUs and extensive Altivec acceleration), it seemed like a good test for my new MacBookPro (1.83 Ghz).
So opened the same image (that blue spiral found in the fractals starting points) and scrolled it around, forcing a bunch of redraws, and checked the frame rate (higher numbers = better)
First, on a G5 dual 2.5:
No Altivec: 3.6 fps
Altivec: 9.1 fps
The the MBP, running Rosetta:
No Altivec: 1.3 fps
Altivec: 8.2 fps
Finally, an early test of 2.0, which includes native support (though the vector code is still somewhat weak):
No vector: 5.75 fps
Vector: 8.4 fps
What was amazing is how good the Rosetta emulation of Altivec was - while switching from "scalar" to "vector" normally would increase frame rate in quadrium by a factor of about 3, this was 6x. It also shows I've got a lot of work to do on the SSE code (but since I've never touched SSE code before yesterday, it seems like a good start), and that I did a pretty good job of the Altivec code...
quadrium2 : build, mutate, evolve, animate : images, textures, fractals, art
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests