creating specific images

quadrium2 : build, mutate, evolve, animate : images, textures, fractals, art
DanT

creating specific images

Post by DanT » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:50 pm

How easy it is to create a specific image you are going after?
I always find interesting images, but they are never what I am going for.

Specifically I am looking for an abstraction of the reflection of water on the bottom of a sandy sea. It seems I should be able to combine a the irregular shapes texture and a gradium and poof I would have it. Nope!

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:05 am

The "light through rippling water" is a caustic, which can be modeled using all sorts of ways. Basically, the water waves are sine waves (often several of them combined together), perhaps with some random noise to them.

A simple start would be to take the gradient starting point, insert a "noise warp" upstream of the "linear" node (with low settings, since we only want a little noise).

Then drop a "sine" filter node downstream of "linear" (between it and "scaled sum"). Again, lower the frequency.

Finally tweak the gradient a bit - lower the midpoint to clip it back a bit, and probably change the color of the gradient to look more water like.

Go back to the noise node and move the "phase" slider to watch the thing ripple.

You can construct similar parallel structures and blend them together to add more "waves"

DanT

Post by DanT » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:58 pm

How do you blend pictures? Wouldn't you need to use photoshop for that?