Morphing not working

quadrium2 : build, mutate, evolve, animate : images, textures, fractals, art
buzzsmith

Morphing not working

Post by buzzsmith » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:41 pm

I am new to Quadrium2, but before I registered it, I could animate a morph between 2 images. After registering, either the image does not change from the start image to the end image (it just stays the same) or the animation is a red screen that does not change. Can anyone give me an idea what I'm doing wrong or if this is a known problem?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:27 am

Assuming you're trying to cross fade between two pictures based on external image files (and put in an image node), there's a couple of ways to handle this.

The first thing to get a handle on is that tweening (and movies in general) basically just interpolate continuous linear data (and things based on linear data, such as colors and gradients as well as the view point) and not discrete things (such as the wiring, the existence of nodes, or settings from popup menus, etc...). So if you have one picture loaded into the image node at the start and then a different one loaded into the image node at the end, it's not going to do any sort of cross-fade between these two (because interpolating these images isn't well defined)

So every frame that can be generated in a movie can be done by taking the current image and altering the sliders (or panning/scaling). So to cross fade between two images, you'll need to have a document that contains two images nodes. Have them both feed into an "Overlay Blend" node, and connect the Z coordinate from the "Input Coordinate" wired to the alpha channel of the left set of inputs (the fourth connection) and make sure that the alpha channel of the right set of inputs (the eighth connection) is not connected.

Now, as you move the Z slider below the image, you'll see the resulting image fade between those two images. If you want to be clever, you can do things like use a Trap shape node with the right set of combiners to be able to do things like star-wipes (or a grid node for a "checkboard" wipe).

FarbGerEcht

Post by FarbGerEcht » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:25 am

Wow, that's an awesome tip! Especially the clever part. But what buzzsmith might be talking about is that tweening "generated images" sometimes seem to do exactly what he described. Not much. (You already explained why...) What I found out is that dragging the start or the end tween into the main-preview window changes the tweening-result (even more so if they consist of different nodes). Just a guess but might be worth a shot...

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:34 am

It doesn't help that the term "image" is seriously overloaded:

The main "document" image
Snapshot/mutant/bred/tweened image
Starting point "image"
The "Image node"
A TIFF/JPG/PNG Image file (which goes in the "image node")

And you can drag around the first three pretty much interchangeably, though they have different associated context behavior.