animation time

quadrium2 : build, mutate, evolve, animate : images, textures, fractals, art
error

animation time

Post by error » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:26 pm

It would be nice to have more precise control over the time in which the images are morphed (when making an animation), like exporting the whole sequence for variable lengths, rather than having fixed lengths like 10 secs, 20 secs, 1 min, etc. this is true for quadrium I flame too.

hmm, maybe in the next version?

:)

cheers.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:44 am

Movie improvements will be in the next semi-major (as opposed to bug fix) release, and across the entire quadrium family.

The biggest problem is figuring out just how much detail to expose (since one could, in their, have every single control in an image be changed at different times, though this would result in hundreds of parameters to change - obviously a bit too many to be practical)

error

Post by error » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:13 am

I think that is just a matter of how much a parameter is changed (by the user) from one frame to the other. What a meant is much less complicted I guess (at least for a relatively minor update), just giving the user option of entering the length of the animation in seconds.

There is one more thing in my mind but i don't know if this makes sense or is practical or not. If there was an option of 'bypassing' nodes (like bypassing a software/hardware audio fx in an audio signal chain) without removing it, or putting a dry/wet control for a node (controlling how much of the signal is passed through that node), would it be possible to morph an image to another, each with different node combinations? I don't know if this is possible, since I'm thinking in audio terms.

When do you think that semi-major update will be released? (just a relative and tentative date to see if I can catch the update before the deadline for my project.)

Thanks.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:29 am

Hm, your idea of (effectively) "weighting" a keyframe is interesting, and may even work.

What I was thinking was more along the lines of, say you had something that was reddish at viewpoint A, and you had panned and zoomed and changed some settings to make it blueish at viewpoint B. In the mean time, you also found that another location off to the side (viewpoint C) looked interesting. If you wanted to make a movie that started reddish at A, when to C and finished at B (bluish), you'd have to tween between A and B (getting purple) and then apply the view point from C to that result, and add that new keyframe between red A and blue B. What would be nicer is if you just added red A, blue B, and dropped C between the two and said "just use the viewpoint" (since you may have found C when the image was green).

Unfortunately, that wouldn't be limited to just "use only the viewpoint from C" but could be extended to all sorts of settings, making the result one huge, ugly, unusable mess.

While I avoid commenting on schedule, I do think it is safe to say that the next semi-major update will be after any sort of hard deadline (since I've got a flame update coming out sometime after WWDC, which should include any major issues with that developer release of Leopard, plus another project or two in the pipeline, a new quadrium product that may or may not be before or after it, not to mention anything that may come up at WWDC, so it would be the fall at the earliest - certainly not until after Leopard ships)

crespowu

Post by crespowu » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:02 pm

I think this is a good idea.