Would Love To Use It...

quadrium2 : build, mutate, evolve, animate : images, textures, fractals, art
Sheba

Would Love To Use It...

Post by Sheba » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:11 pm

...but it crashes more often than it's up and running. It might be too much for my antiquated iMac running 10.3.9. The funny thing is that it crashed only once when I went through the tutorial. But when I try to do something from scratch, forget it. I guess I'll have to wait until I get a new Mac...whenever that will be. :P

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:21 pm

The biggest problem with supporting 10.3.9 is that I no longer have any machine running it - the machine that I use to test 10.3.9 eventually died and had to be replaced with a new mini (I use it as a file server, etc...).

So while I'd love to try to support 10.3.9 where possible (and, for example, prime will require 10.4 due to needing some features that aren't part of 10.3), it is becoming far less practical to do so at this point, and unfortunately that will become more true in the future - as fewer and fewer people run 10.3.9 and more running 10.5.x it hard to rationalize putting the effort on the tail of the curve, as opposed to the head of it.

Unless your iMac is _real_ old, it should be able to run 10.4, so long as it has built-in FireWire and 256 meg of memory (though you'd really want at least 512 if not a full gig) and a DVD player (it use to be you could get by with just a CDROM, but you can't get the Tiger install disks on CD anymore - just DVD). Of course, upgrading a system involves far more than just "can it run on my machine", since you've got issues with other older hardware and software you may have - not to mention the cost of the OS upgrade itself (at which point it may end up being easier to just buy a whole new computer!).

Sheba

Post by Sheba » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:42 pm

Yeah, upgrading the dinosaur isn't feasible anymore. Bah, by the time I save up enough for a new Mac, they'll be talking about Puma or Ocelot or Bobcat. :P

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:29 pm

There already was a Puma (10.1) though Ocelot is really cool for a code name (and really cool looking, though Servals may be slightly cooler).

It'll probably be dull and boring like Lion or Cougar... Hey, there's only so many wild cats out there (and something "Sand cat" or "Bornean bay cat" just don't have that ring, do they? And "Kodkod" sounds more like a deformed fish)