Quadrium craches

quadrium2 : build, mutate, evolve, animate : images, textures, fractals, art
Unicorn

Quadrium craches

Post by Unicorn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:03 am

Hi!
I discovered Quadrium just this month and have been playing with the demo 2.3 and trying to get a hang of it. But it isn't easy since the program continues to crash. I have trashed the preferences (several times). Sometimes it runs for 1 minute and sometimes I can use it in 45 minutes, there is no (obvious) reason for the crash, it comes at different tasks. I also tried to run it in Rosetta mode, but that didn't help.

I then found Quadrium 2.2 and tried that version. It seemed much more stable at first, but then it crashed as well.

I would love to be able to create beautifull fractal art, but I haven't even been able to complete the tutorials in the pdf, I never get beyond page 47... (I have other questions about the tutorial, I have done pages 38 - 45 at least 7 times now, and some things will not do the same for me as in the tutorial...)

I use a MacPro (2 x 2.66), 4 GB RAM, 10.5.1 Leopard.

Please help me! I love the art you have published at Deviant, and am longing for to be able to make such images myself. I have no PC so I can't use their apps (easily), and there seems to be very very few good apps for fractal art on the Mac (why???) and I was very happy when I found Quadrium, and very dissapointed after all these crashes...

All help and advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:36 am

What are you doing that causes it to crash? I.e., what nodes are you using, what actions are you performing?

Can you send me a crash log (which will show the details of what is going on) - it'll be found in Library/Logs/CrashReporter/quadrium2_[some date].crash.log

Running 2.2 under Leopard is not advised (there was a strange bug that crashed when tool-tips appear - i.e., if you left the mouse to hover over one of the nodes)

Depending on what kind of art you're looking for, you might want to check out the recently released quadrium | prime, which is a bit more "fractal oriented" (not sure if it is going to have the same or worse stability problems on your machine, but at least it should be "different").

Unicorn

Post by Unicorn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:40 am

Thanks for the swift reply!
I can't say there is any one special node causing all the crashes, I have been playing around with several starting points. This last crash though must have been the bug you mentioned, so I will stop use 2.2 under leopard.

Do you need all of the crash log text or just some part of it (I ask for privacy reason)? Can I email them to you? (I have several crash logs to choose from..:-)

I tried the demo of quadrium flame once, but I thought it was slow, and thought I'd try Quadrium2.3 first. I will certainly try Prime, when I last looked it wasn't downloadble. (Downloading right now...:-)

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:27 pm

Flame fractals, by their very nature, take a while to fully render. The good news is that the next version of quadrium | flame will support multiple threads for rendering the flames, which will definitely speed it up. (said version of quadrium | flame will include a whole lot of other features as well - I'll probably start posting some "teaser" pictures to my deviantArt account soon).

As for the crash logs, just open them (which you can do with TextEdit) and edit out anything you're concerned about wrt privacy - and if it appears that they are all a similar cause, I only need one of them. The way to tell is to scroll down through the various "thread" sections and find the one with "Thread [some number] Crash:" - if the lines that follow that are similar, it's probably all the same bug.

Unicorn

Post by Unicorn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:28 pm

OK, here I have three different crash logs. Shall I paste all the text here or should I email them to you?

(Haven't had time to try out Prime yet...)

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:45 pm

Mail is fine - probably a bit easier than trying to paste in huge chunks of text...

Unicorn

Post by Unicorn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:06 pm

OK.
And by the way, now I played a bit with Prime, and that crashes too...:-/
I'll send some reports from that as well.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:52 pm

A quick work around for the quadrium2 problem on 10.5.x, in a terminal window type:

defaults write com.gandreas.quadrium NSInitialToolTipDelay -int 100000

(Basically there is some strange problems with tooltip, but it only shows up on 10.5.x systems - this will delay them from showing up accidentally)

Unicorn

Post by Unicorn » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:10 am

Ok, I wrote that in the terminal (cut & paste). Is that written to the preference file so I have to do it again if I throw out the preferences?

ANd Prime crashed again after I wrote that....

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:23 am

Yes, that updates the preferences, so if you trash those, you'll need to redo this (at least until the next q2 update)

eebee

Crashes

Post by eebee » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:42 am

Hi all...

So after a day of playing with the demo version I was hooked and registered. But now it's crashing on pretty much every use.

As a test, I quit all other applications and started quadrium2. I created a new blank document and opened the node browser and then I just waited a minute or so and quadrium stopped responding.

Also, whenever I try to click on quadrium2 Help in the Help menu, it says "Internet connection required", even though I obviously have a working connection.

I'm working on a MacBook Pro, OSX 10.5.5

Specs:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
SMC Version: 1.28f1

Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

eebee

Trying the tool tip fix

Post by eebee » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:21 am

So it does seem to be the same problem you suspect Unicorn is having. I'll try the terminal trick and see if that helps.

So is that basically making the tool tip (node thumbnail description) wait longer before it pops up?

I will post again if the crashes continue. Fingers crossed.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:28 pm

Exactly - the problem is something weird in the tooltip, so delaying that avoids the issue.