3D 'floating fractals' -possible?

quadrium2 : build, mutate, evolve, animate : images, textures, fractals, art
freedom

3D 'floating fractals' -possible?

Post by freedom » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:19 pm

-They're indeed rare... -but I have spotted fractal programs that can render a fractal in 'space'. Would it be possible to ad this kind of functionality to quadrium? -For further clarity: The rendered fractals appear to be floating in space, more like a 'sculpture' than an image with depth; complete with a shadow (on a virtual surface underneath them). My guess is that the 'author' of the software has built in lighting FX (like Maya) and has some kind of 'texture' manipulation going on the 'main image'. Sorry that I can't give a pointer to said software -I haven't seen it published recently in my searches on the web. -Anybody seen this?
-And would this be a possibility in any of your amazing software packages Glenn?
-Hope I'm not starting a new thread; please provide a pointer if I am...

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:13 pm

Take a look at some of the new quadrium | flame images in my deviantArts gallery <http://gandreas.deviantart.com/art/Towe ... m-78024192>. There's a couple of other "solid seed based" fractals there too.

You mean things like that?

freedom

Post by freedom » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:58 pm

...something like that... -But the 'tower' portion of the image (just one) would be floating on its own. -Imagine an image (png) that you would ad a shadow to in something like The GIMP (...or if you have to go commercial: Photoshop...) -then you would ad some lighting FX to it that corresponds to the shadow. -Free-floating above its own shadow. (? Hope it makes sense -I am searching the various sites for an example...)
Having said that -the image is really quite spectacular (!) and has some great depth to it!

freedom

Post by freedom » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:17 pm

Two Fractal type software packages that I have managed to spot are: XenoDream and Xaos. www.freshmeat.net has some examples of what I refer to.