Advent(ure) Widget released

Discuss the various current and future Widgets from gandreas software
gandreas
Immortal

Advent(ure) Widget released

Post by gandreas » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:46 pm

Play the grandfather of text adventure games, now in a Widget, and get lost in a maze of twisty passages. Includes UI enhancements to show exits, inventory, and score.

(And for those wondering why it's called "advent" rather than "adventure", on the time sharing system where I first played it, file names were extremely limited in length, so for me, it will always be "advent").

http://projects.gandreas.com/widgets/advent_index.html

lin

Advent--need help

Post by lin » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:04 pm

I have your advent widget. I have gotten to the point wher I can find 15 treasures, deliver them safely to the well house and drop the magazines at Witt's End without getting killed or running down the batteries. But, even if I then kill time for 50 or 60 turns, the endgame doesn't kick in. What's up?

Lin

thanks!

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:59 pm

It is suppose to start "closing down the cave" a certain number of turns after the last treasure has been located (note this doesn't require taking it, just locating it).

There are, however, more than 15 treasures.

lin

Thanks

Post by lin » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:35 pm

Thanks! I have now located twenty treasurs, with help fom a spoiler an am working on getting them without dying or losing power. Thanks, again!

advent

Post by advent » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:54 pm

Have a small question about this: what is the best widget engine for this and how would I get it to run?

redbird52

Advent 430 help!

Post by redbird52 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:08 am

I'm loving the Colossal Cave widget—it takes me back. But I've gone crazy with it: I can finish it according to the original 350-point version (ie., trident, persian rug, Witt's end, etc.) but this version has more treasures to get. I have no idea where to find them.

And, amazingly, there's absolutely no help on the boards for this version! Tons of stuff for the 350 version, and tons more for the 500-pt, 501, etc. but nothing I can find for this one. And this one's the real thing!

What's a small hint to get me going? Or is there a page of hints you can provide for the 430-point version?

Thanks a million. You are in a maze of twisty passages, all different.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:59 am

I could have sworn that I had posted some hints somewhere, but I'm completely unable to locate them.

Anyway, if you really are desperate, the source can be found here http://www.ifarchive.org/if-archive/gam ... 2.5.tar.gz.

I believe that the extra treasures in the 430 point version (from a quick look) are a giant ruby, jade necklace, amber gemstone, star sapphire, and ebony statuette.

redbird52

thanks

Post by redbird52 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:43 pm

Thanks, Gandreas. From that I can deduce the path I have to take, and it'll involve some Moses-type action, but how do I get started across the reservoir?

Sorry, but you're the only resource I have on this!

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:34 pm

I believe you need to say a magic word. Unfortunately, I can't tell you that word, since it suppose to be generated differently each time you play.

dhlipsky

Additional Stuff Past Reservoir

Post by dhlipsky » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:15 pm

Checked source code -- could not figure out magic word. Any ideas? It's a great widget -- thank you -- but this is extremely frustrating. Have been all over web w/ no luck.

Thanks!

gandreas
Immortal

Re: Additional Stuff Past Reservoir

Post by gandreas » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:09 pm

dhlipsky wrote:Checked source code -- could not figure out magic word. Any ideas? It's a great widget -- thank you -- but this is extremely frustrating. Have been all over web w/ no luck.

Thanks!
The magic word is randomly generated each time you play (and stored as a weird "encode characters as integers base 26" or something like that, so there's no easy way to tell what it is).

I believe that the magic word appears at Witts End or someplace further in from there (where you get to with the original version's endgame).

dhlipsky

Post by dhlipsky » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:41 pm

Redbird, et al --

The password gets revealed by a non-player character who, essentially, starts the game for you. (The one who's afraid of the wand.) But you have to approach this character after you've killed the dragon, and used the one item still in the dragon room.

Sorry: I'm trying not to make this too easy. Still don't have the sapphire, but Gandreas: I have all the others. it's been great fun.

Any ideas: 1) How to use the rug? 2) How to use the Rabbit's foot (here called "Leporine Appendage")? 3) How to find the Sapphire?

Great widget, great fun.

dhlipsky

Post by dhlipsky » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:58 pm

Got the Sapphire too....

Strange; but fairly readable source code.