Armillary Widget

Discuss the various current and future Widgets from gandreas software
gandreas
Immortal

Armillary Widget

Post by gandreas » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:37 pm

Similar to the Orrery Widget, the Armillary Widget has been released.

This widget displays the stars (up to 5000 stars down to magnitude 6) & planets overhead, allowing you to see various coordinate grids, etc...

And yes, it shows planets with the same color coding as Orrery:

Silver - Mercury
Blue - Venus
Red - Mars
Sky Blue - Jupiter
Gray - Saturn

HervxE9 S.

how to refine location in Armillary?

Post by HervxE9 S. » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:09 pm

Here in Europe (at least?) the system prefs allow only one single city per country to be selected, so I end in being located in Paris while I stand 500 km southward... How could I refine my location?

Thank you, and all the best for your widgets!

HervxE9 Sainct, fh. sainct at laposte. net

Burk

Real time on Armillary?

Post by Burk » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:05 pm

Hi- This is a great widget. I have one small suggestion, which is to allow users to advance the time to the current time with one click somewhere. The time is current when the widget first starts, but then to advance it, the user has to type in the current time by hand, or re-start. Not a great choice, if the primary use of the tool is to track the heavens as the day goes on.

babybloc

visual polish

Post by babybloc » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:28 am

Hi, messing with Armillary and have a few asthetic suggestions.

It might be nicer if the time-date were only there if I hover over them, so I can see the stars underneath most of the time.

It might be nicer if the little "i" button was just opposite the "done" button on the other side. Thus limiting the need to mouse around when I flip it over to check modifications.

Thanks for a great widget; I'll be using it to teach my four-year-old girls about the stars.

gandreas
Immortal

Re: Real time on Armillary?

Post by gandreas » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:49 pm

Burk wrote:Hi- This is a great widget. I have one small suggestion, which is to allow users to advance the time to the current time with one click somewhere. The time is current when the widget first starts, but then to advance it, the user has to type in the current time by hand, or re-start. Not a great choice, if the primary use of the tool is to track the heavens as the day goes on.
It does update, but to avoid the "activate dashboard causes everything to come to a complete standstill while everything that hasn't been active recalculates everything" problem, it doesn't do it right away - usually sometimes within 30 seconds will take care of it (otherwise, you can hit the "enter" key to force it to reset to the current time).

I'll probably be changing this to be a bit faster in the next version...

obsdir

Can't change settings

Post by obsdir » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:28 pm

I'm having trouble changing any of the lines, circles, constellations, star magnitudes, etc. in the Armillary widget. The date, time and location work ok as does running the time fast forward. I started by downloading the copy from Apple's widget site and then when that version didn't work I decided to follow the link in the widget to your web site and get a fresh copy. The installer said it was replacing an older version. Even so, it still does not allow me to turn off lines or adjust the stars. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am axious to show it to some friends in my astronomy club.

Thanks,
Chris