Cut Up Poetry

Discuss the various current and future Widgets from gandreas software
gregjehl@yahoo.com

Cut Up Poetry

Post by gregjehl@yahoo.com » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:52 am

I'm a poet and really like widget. It would especially be fun for those learning. Two features would be nice, useful, whatever. One would be to be able to call up a file of words. The other would be to have the ability to output the final poem.

I can think of other features that would be helpful, but these would be the most useful.

"I'd much rather be happy than right any day."

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:11 pm

If you feel adventurous, you can add your own words.

Basically, select the Widget in the Finder, control/right click on it and select "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu that appears. Inside the Widget is a folder called "Lines". Inside that folder are the files that provide the various "themes", stored as simple text file (with the file extension of ".txt").

To add your own, just take your source as plain text (with a line of poetry being a line in the file) and add it to that folder. Restarting the Widget should make the new file available from the Source menu on the back.

As for saving it, not sure how well that would work since the words aren't always lined up (making it difficult to figure out what a "line" of poetry is). Perhaps some automated way to export the thing as a PDF might work - I'll have to investigate...