Mondo Solitire in freecell, undo and larger cards, please

Discuss the various current and future Widgets from gandreas software
brucesalem

Mondo Solitire in freecell, undo and larger cards, please

Post by brucesalem » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:37 am

Add me to the list of people who would like larger cards, or enlarge widget, either that or allow undo in the card game so that if you make a mistake because you misread a card. The games on Linux under gnome have an undo. Are widgets memory constrained so that they can't remember the moves in the game? This is frustrating enough that I might junk the widget, and yes I am visually impired, having 20/60 in one eye only.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:57 am

Widget, in general, are designed to take up as little screen real estate as possible - the whole point of a widget is to be small little things (and I've gotten many requests to make mondo solitaire smaller). You can use screen zoom in dashboard (command-option-8 to turn it on/off) to make things better, and I'll probably have alternate card sets at some point to make things easier to see.

As for undo, in most solitaire games, undo is the equivalent of cheating, and so it hasn't been a high priority to implement. I'll probably add it at some point, though...

Cramit

Great Software

Post by Cramit » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:16 pm

I love this Widget. The only thing I have to say is that making it re-sizeable would be great. I would like to be able to stretch the widget and the cards to re-size. I have a little trouble reading the cards, but my mom who will be getting a mac soon will not be able to use it with the cards at their current size.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:47 pm

The biggest issue is that Widgets are just plain not suppose to be large items like this - they should be small (it's already pushing the limits of how big it should be as it is).

However, I have been playing with something related to this specific issue, but can't comment further at this time..

Cramit

Post by Cramit » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:34 pm

I understand. I can't wait to see your solution.

Metalsmith

Post by Metalsmith » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:17 am

gandreas wrote: As for undo, in most solitaire games, undo is the equivalent of cheating, and so it hasn't been a high priority to implement. I'll probably add it at some point, though...
Well, there comes a time, sometimes, when I want to cheat. Plus, sometimes I simply make a mistake. Or, i want to back up and see what would have happened if I had played the other path. Lots of reasons to have Undo --- and really frustrating sometimes not having it.

Metalsmith

OH! And I forgot to mention --- THANKS! You're doing a great job...

virtualanne

size

Post by virtualanne » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:51 pm

I'm another person who would like to be able to see the cards. I can't really use it, because the cards are just too small. I understand that you want to keep the widget small. Is there a way to adjust the size of the entire game? It could be kept small until the user clicks on it, then put a little "handle" in the corner that would allow the size of the entire game board to be enlarged or reduced to suit the preference of each player.

On another topic - any plans to add the game "Montana"?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:57 pm

There are really only two current solutions - you can zoom in the whole screen (turn on support for it in the Accessibility preference panel, and then control-mouse wheel to zoom in out), but that has the drawback of moving everything with the mouse. The other solution is to use Amnesty Widget Browser, which lets you run a widget outside of Dashboard, complete with the ability to scale the widget.

No current plans for Montana, but that's probably because I haven't run across it in any of my books of solitaire rules collections...