mondo dock 1.2 released

Discuss the various current and future Widgets from gandreas software
gandreas
Immortal

mondo dock 1.2 released

Post by gandreas » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:42 pm

mondo dock has been updated to include an indicator that an application is open (a little triangle like the "real" dock), and you can add items by dropping them "between" icons (instead of the old "drop here" + reorder). You can also drop something on a folder/disk and it should start a Finder copy of the item to that location. A number of other enhancements have been made in it as well.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:23 am

And as a teaser, 1.3 will include the ability to have icons badged with info, such as number of unread mail messages, iChat connection status, etc... There are also plans to include application specific commands (for example, iTunes controlling), much like the way that the "real" dock has special commands. This will all be done with AppleScript so a great deal of flexibility should be there.

I also hope to add "mondo docklets" - special AppleScripts that will appear as an icon that can perform additional system or provide additional status. For example (and not a very good one, because you can already do this by making an Automator stand alone application) you could have a "set desktop image" mondo docklet - drag an image and drop it on that mondo docklet to change your desktop picture. Or perhaps docklets that control other system status values, freeing you from the need of having separate Widgets for simple actions (so it's almost like Widgets in a Dock in a Widget).

mr-louis

:idea: :idea:

Post by mr-louis » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:41 am

Great widget, I can finally make smaller my dock!

However, I good think that could improve your widget, is to be able to have more choice than 48 or 96 icon size.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:23 am

The slider is continuous - you can select any size between 48 and 96 pixels.

It can't go any smaller because the various small adorners (to remove, "follow", running status triangle) wouldn't fit. It could go larger, but 96 seemed pretty darn big...

RTO

Post by RTO » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:07 am

Great widget, and very nice to see that you implemented so many of my ideas from an earlier forum post.

I do experience some instabilities with the 1.2.1 version though.
1) Dropping files in between icons in the Mondo Dock doesn't work after about 3 seconds (you have to decide quickly). After that, the dropped icon is ignored.
2) The application will spontaneously quit and generate an [i]Error report window[/i] if you delete an icon set by selecting [i]Load Set[/i] and then pressing the Delete button.

Also, I still wonder how I specifiy the background to an opaque color (all colors in the list are translucent).