Planets and Signs Icons not appearing

Discuss the various current and future Widgets from gandreas software
sfezoff

Post by sfezoff » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:00 am

I'm having the same problem. Migrated from iMac G5 to MacBook (2Ghz Intel) a couple of days ago. Orrery worked fine on the iMac but now text boxes appear where the icons should be for planets and signs. I downloaded again (v. 1.2) and installed again (after deleting previous), but sitll have the same problem. No Safari 3.0 install. Mac OS X 10.4.10.

sfezoff

Re: Planets and Signs Icons not appearing

Post by sfezoff » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:19 am

Additional information--Apple Symbols font IS installed (in \Library\Fonts folder). Thanks.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:47 pm

I'll investigate on my intel machine running 10.4.10 and see if I can reproduce the problem...

sfezoff

Post by sfezoff » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:00 pm

Any further updates on this, please?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:46 am

I've yet to come across a 10.4.10 installation that doesn't have those glyphs in the Apple Symbols font.

On my install, it's 593,996 bytes, and copyright 2003 by Apple Computer, Inc.

If you fire up Font Book, does it list Apple Symbols as installed? (It'll be down near the bottom of the font list)

sfezoff

Post by sfezoff » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:18 am

Yes Apple Symbols IS installed and shows up in Font Book. Also some of the symbols show in Orrery some of the time. Could it be that the size of the text boxes does not properly fit the scaling on the display of a 13" MacBook? Here's what it looks like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44608187@N00/1330992292/

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:27 am

There is no scaling that happens to Widgets, regardless of the size of the display, so that's not it.

Basically, the way it works is that Javascript strings are composed of unicode characters, and I happen to use the unicode codes for the various symbols in the string that is then displayed in the Widget. The system, when it displays the content, draws the string and sees that the (unicode) character it is about to display is not in the current font (i.e., Helvetica or whatever the other characters are in) so will automatically substitute a different font for those characters (in this case, it should find them in Apple Symbols). If it can't find a font for it, then it bails and draws the boxes.

If you open up FontBook, and select "Apple Symbols", the preview pane should show you a number of lines of samples, including exotic currency symbols, letter-like symbols, math symbols, strange lines and boxes, small images (such as a telephone and smiley), religious symbols, planetary symbols, zodiac symbols, chess pieces, card suits and dice, and finally musical symbols and recycling symbols.

sfezoff

Post by sfezoff » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:48 am

OK. I think I may have generally identified the problem: I closed all my widgets except for the Weather. Then did a Safe Reboot (don't know if this is relevant or not), and opened a couple of widgets including Orerry. Then did a normal reboot. Symbols are now displaying correctly in Orrery. I previously had a number of widgets open, and my guess is that one of those had a conflict with Orrery. Sorry I don't have time at the moment to try to discover which one is the trouble-maker. Maybe I can get to it later. In the meantime, I think that solves my problem; I'll let you know if I get more details. Thanks very much for your attention and support!

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:36 pm

That's definitely weird, since Widgets all run in their own separate process, so one conflicting with the other is as likely as Mail conflicting with Preview.

It is possible that something screwed up the (system wide) font manager - the next time it happen, rather than rebooting, just try logging out and then logging back in - that should reset any user specific UI daemons.

sfezoff

Post by sfezoff » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:47 pm

OK. I won't try to track any conflicting widgets down, then--I know little about Mac internals. Thanks again for your support.