quadrium | flame 1.1 features

quadrium | flame : flame fractals & strange attractors : build, mutate, evolve, animate

gandreas
Immortal

quadrium | flame 1.1 features

Post by gandreas » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:44 am

Here's a preliminary list of features that will be found in 1.1 (and note, that many of the features are difficult to explain, but make sense once seen and played with - trust, me, wrapping my head around these ideas as I was developing them was a bit of a challenge):
  • - "Layered Transforms", where by flames form a partially ordered set so you can isolate one effect from another (for example, if you mix stuff with strange attractors, they often "collapse", this allows you to separate them)
    - A really great new "Fatou" flame, which generalizes the inverse map of "z -> z * (lambda - z)" which will can make things that look like traditional fractal rendering of Julia sets or San Marcos fractals
    - An "Escher" style hyperbolic tessellation flame
    - Higher resolution movies (hey, you asked for them!)
    - Lens, Spots, Masks, oh my! - similar to traps in traditional fractal rendering in principle, but allows for cool warping or coloring (for example, a spot makes it easy to color strange attractors)
    - Tiling symmetries - the full set of 17 wallpaper groups and 7 frieze tilings
    - AppleScriptability, including some cool sample scripts to generate common flame setups (such as the "julia badge", or "metallic band")
    - "Fake 3D" - the ability to add some fake depth to your image, including special traps for front and back plane clipping (flame cross-sections anyone?)
    - Alternate coloring algorithms will make this release, which provide for simpler or more "artistic" results.
    - Plus a number of experimental features that may, or not, make it into the release (like shadows/accents, etc...)
    - And one more thing...
Some examples of these techniques can be found in my deviantART gallery
Last edited by gandreas on Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

tomax

Post by tomax » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:32 pm

cool! i just registered on the strength of that and your previous post on the movie res fix. let me know if you need some beta testing. :)

one thing i've found somewhat annoying in 1.0 is that you have to be over the scroll bar to use the mouse-wheel in the right panel if you're over parameter items. since i'm constantly scrolling up and down the list it's a pain to have to position within 16 pixels on the x-axis... moving forward, it would be nice to see the "warp" preview display even if i'm down at the bottom of the list; maybe an option to lock that section of the panel or something more elegant?

idea: load genomes from the electricsheep.org site, nice starting points if it's not too much work and the parameters can be translated.

http://electricsheep.org/archive/genera ... ail=genome
http://sheepserver.net/v2d6/cgi/dead.cg ... ail=genome

Cheers,
Mic.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:55 pm

tomax wrote:cool! i just registered on the strength of that and your previous post on the movie res fix. let me know if you need some beta testing. :)
I'll be posting for testers once I get some of the last features stabilized (or removed). Hopefully in a week or so...
one thing i've found somewhat annoying in 1.0 is that you have to be over the scroll bar to use the mouse-wheel in the right panel if you're over parameter items. since i'm constantly scrolling up and down the list it's a pain to have to position within 16 pixels on the x-axis... moving forward, it would be nice to see the "warp" preview display even if i'm down at the bottom of the list; maybe an option to lock that section of the panel or something more elegant?
Already resolved - the topology preview is now a "HUD" that appears over the main view when you mouse over the topologies (and is hidden otherwise). Saves a lot of space in the scrolling list.
idea: load genomes from the electricsheep.org site, nice starting points if it's not too much work and the parameters can be translated.

http://electricsheep.org/archive/genera ... ail=genome
http://sheepserver.net/v2d6/cgi/dead.cg ... ail=genome

Cheers,
Mic.
Select the text (including the <flame> and </flame> parts), copy, paste into text edit (make sure you convert it to "Plain Text" - no colors/fonts), save as some file with the suffix ".flam3" (or click the "file" link and save as a .flam3 file). Go to quadrium | flame, select File > Import, select the file you saved, and there you go. It's not perfect (the color palette doesn't always come through, especially in 1.0, and some of the rendering parameters don't translate well), but it's pretty good. You can also select specific parts by copying a single <xform ... /> text, and then click on the "skeleton view" and paste it there and that single item should appear (there may be problems with this in 1.0, but it works under the current beta). The current beta also allows you to skip some steps as holding down the option key will turn "Import" into "Import URL" allows you to just copy and paste the "download" URL.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:50 pm

So there are still some rough edges and bugs, but I think I've finally got the feature set for 1.1 complete and largely working (see the list above), and I've even got some preliminary documentation on those new features.

So registered users who feel like playing on the bleeding edge, please contact me...

tomax

Post by tomax » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:10 pm

wa, can't believe i missed this! i love a bleeding beta :) but i'm pressed to be away for a couple weeks :( so perhaps you'll have 'er polished by the time i return. can't wait!

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:22 pm

So I think I've solved the last (major) bug, fixed up a bunch of problems with 3D attractors, alternate rendering schemes work, scripts provide some really cool features, and various other issues.

What's left is (hopefully) adding some example starting points using the newer features, and writing some more documentation & tutorials.