quadrium | flame 1.1 features
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:44 am
Here's a preliminary list of features that will be found in 1.1 (and note, that many of the features are difficult to explain, but make sense once seen and played with - trust, me, wrapping my head around these ideas as I was developing them was a bit of a challenge):
- - "Layered Transforms", where by flames form a partially ordered set so you can isolate one effect from another (for example, if you mix stuff with strange attractors, they often "collapse", this allows you to separate them)
- A really great new "Fatou" flame, which generalizes the inverse map of "z -> z * (lambda - z)" which will can make things that look like traditional fractal rendering of Julia sets or San Marcos fractals
- An "Escher" style hyperbolic tessellation flame
- Higher resolution movies (hey, you asked for them!)
- Lens, Spots, Masks, oh my! - similar to traps in traditional fractal rendering in principle, but allows for cool warping or coloring (for example, a spot makes it easy to color strange attractors)
- Tiling symmetries - the full set of 17 wallpaper groups and 7 frieze tilings
- AppleScriptability, including some cool sample scripts to generate common flame setups (such as the "julia badge", or "metallic band")
- "Fake 3D" - the ability to add some fake depth to your image, including special traps for front and back plane clipping (flame cross-sections anyone?)
- Alternate coloring algorithms will make this release, which provide for simpler or more "artistic" results.
- Plus a number of experimental features that may, or not, make it into the release (like shadows/accents, etc...)
- And one more thing...