q | f opens, then does nothing

quadrium | flame : flame fractals & strange attractors : build, mutate, evolve, animate

Sheba

Post by Sheba » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:28 pm

I updated the software and configured the mouse buttons to just "click". No change.

Except for one thing: you know how the Color window opens right on top of the document window and the program freezes when I tried to pick a color? Well, I moved the Color window to where the desktop wasn't covered by the application, down in the lower left corner. Then I could pick colors just fine without the program trying to quit.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:46 pm

Hm, that's at least "interesting".

One more quick experiment - go to preferences, and change "Live Feedback" to "None" - it'll slow interaction down, especially on complex images, but it's worth a shot.

You could also try to change the "Color Mode" found in the global settings - perhaps one of the might work correctly (which would give a good chance of figuring out why the others don't).

Sheba

Post by Sheba » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:41 pm

Changing the Live Feedback to "none" caused it to quit, and it took rebooting the computer for it to realize I had changed the setting back to "Fine".

Changing "Color Mode"? How do you do that?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:12 am

OK, check your email - I've sent you a link to a beta that may just fix the problem you're seeing (at the very least, it fixes a bug that could potentially cause the problem you're seeing)

Sheba

Post by Sheba » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:21 pm

It still quits when Live Feedback is set to "None", but now I don't need to reboot to get it to accept a new setting.

I found the global color controls and changed the color mode. No difference.

Also: only the spectrum gradient in the Color window (fourth choice in the menu) doesn't cause the program to quit.

EDIT: new problem: the sliders in the Breeding Pool don't work now.

The Mutations screen: the "cascading" thumbnails are new?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:35 pm

Please define "don't work". Do you mean that changing those values doesn't seem to make resulting children different? Or something else?
The Mutations screen: the "cascading" thumbnails are new?
Yep. The goal was to make it more obvious what was mutating into what (and that the button on the top then restarts the mutation from the current image)

So in summary (and please correct what is wrong here), your 10.3.9 system running on an iMac (and I'm assuming you mean one of all-in-one CRT based one, as opposed to the "swing arm lamp" or "flat hang the whole thing on the wall" model - could you run System Profiler (found in /Applications/Utitlies) and select "Save" and email me the resulting document?) will lock up (creating the "spinning cursor") if you do something that causes the image to do a "live feedback" update while you are dragging the mouse somewhere (such as dragging the slider knob, dragging the "F" shapes), but if you do something that involves just a click (such as clicking the various reshape/scale/rotate buttons) and then redraws the image from scratch work fine?

So basically, if the mouse button is down when it is doing the coarse "live feedback" image, you'll get a lock up, but otherwise you don't have that problem... (And if you could do the "Activity Monitor Inspect Process Sample" thing again and send me that result as well)

Sheba

Post by Sheba » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:09 pm

gandreas wrote:
Please define "don't work". Do you mean that changing those values doesn't seem to make resulting children different? Or something else?
The sliders won't move at all, not by dragging them or using the mouse wheel. (I'm not sure if you can do that with the wheel, anyway.)

Zoop

Post by Zoop » Fri May 04, 2007 5:07 am

Hey there,

I just downloaded the program and got the same problem. The initial starting points window pops up, then when i click on one of the starting points the window vanishes and nothing else happens. It's not like the program has frozen or anything, just nothing happens. Same when I try to create a blank document etc.

Also, I tried going to the Window menu -> Breeding pool. That produces a blank white rectangle in the middle of my screen... I figured it was just a window that hadn't worked for some reason, and sure enough i could drag it around and stuff. I tried shrinking it into the dock and when I do that some blank boxes appear inside the window, with the ones on the left side cut off, as it goes into the dock. When I clicked on the window to make it big again nothing happened, and after a few times I got the pinwheel of doom and had to force quit...

Is there a fix for this yet? I really want to try out this program. I can send you the error things like the other guy did if you want. :D
Running Mac OS X 10.3.9 on a 1.5 Ghz PowerBook G4.

Cheers!
- Zoop

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Fri May 04, 2007 7:51 am

This appears to be a 10.3.9 specific problem, which I believe has been addressed in the latest beta (which should be released "soon").

I'll email the link for the it and we'll see if this resolves it...

Zoop

Post by Zoop » Fri May 04, 2007 9:12 am

Wow, thanks for the quick reply... Downloading the beta now. I'm on dialup though so it'll probably take a while. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Zoop

Post by Zoop » Sat May 05, 2007 1:41 am

Okay, the beta version works fine. Thanks for your help!