Second Question - Julians

quadrium | flame : flame fractals & strange attractors : build, mutate, evolve, animate

Zooreka

Second Question - Julians

Post by Zooreka » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:43 pm

Thanks Gandreas for the reply on Deviant re Julians. Thought I was going to get an email address from the support menu instead of more of the same but here we are...

In answer to your reply - I would like to make Julians like the few I have attempted so far with Apo.

Problem being that I have no idea how you set and lock coordinates of the triangles as you would with Apo. It.s really hard to figure things outgeometrically when presented with an F instaed of a triangle for a start. I din actually locate the Julian optopn for local as opposed to glo[baltopologies just before you replied - but thanks.

I played with Flame for like 12 hours solid yesterday and still cannot even come close to the beginnings of the likes of the grand Julians you make with Apo.

I think this is probably because I cannot figure out how to localise coordinates for the triangles and weight them. Applying Juila(n) to the afines and giving them value does affect the flamed but the whole problem comes back down to geometry,

From what I can see basic Julians with Apo are relatively simplistic forms - very few parameters attached to each flame - just a matter of presice positioning, sizing and rotating

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:43 pm

Did you try starting with the "Julian Badge" script (found in Structure > Scripts > Presets > Makers)? It'll make the start of a Julian style image pretty quickly for you...

Also if you look in the ".Mac Sharing" section of the starting points browser, under gandreas, the fourth image is based on a "julian tutorial" somebody asked about on the web (search back through this board will hopefully turn up the original link).

You can also import Apo files if you've got a sample from there that you want to see how it works.
It.s really hard to figure things outgeometrically when presented with an F instaed of a triangle for a start.
I've got a bigger problem with the triangle because there is no structure showing you how the thing is rotated or flips - a rotated or flipped triangle is still a triangle (which is why I went with the "F" shape since it is asymmetric with regards to all linear transforms unlike a triangle or an "L" which is often (frustratingly) used to demonstrate wallpaper groups)

If you want to work with absolute numbers, you can copy and paste from the "odometer" settings - for example, selecting one of the flames and hitting "copy" will result in this on the clipboard:
coefficients:
{
XX = -0.07052597;
XY = 0.8061121;
YX = -0.6522982;
YY = -0.05706901;
dX = 0.3364221;
dY = -0.0313437;
}

so if you see specific coordinates from Apo, you can just edit the text manually and paste it back.

Zooreka

Post by Zooreka » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:07 pm

Thanks for the explabation - now that's more like what I would term a starting point.

I thought you ran the script on existing flames - I always get these hopelessly skimpy looking non - symmetric shapes

That C & P trick looks quite nice too but have to admit I still find editing gradients a bit tricky when it comes to adding a color to the grad. Often clicking on one of the markers deletes it and I still have not figured out how to get one back

Will try experimenting on these likes - and as you mention importing an apo flame for reference