Cardographer 1.1

Design your own playing cards
gandreas
Immortal

Cardographer 1.1

Post by gandreas » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:28 pm

Cardographer 1.1, a minor update to 1.0, is now available.

It fixes a number of bugs that people have reported, and adds support for PlainCard template stock.

mcasteel

Using Cardographer cards

Post by mcasteel » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:42 pm

Would it be possible to use Cardographer card designs in a software card game? This could be an interesting addition to my Klondike solitaire game.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:32 pm

If you use your own court card designs (or used the "open source" versions found in the Court Card section of the image library), it would work great.

The default court cards contain my logo and would cause some confusion (since I've already got shipping product that uses them).

mcasteel

Using Cardographer cards

Post by mcasteel » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:51 pm

I have a full set of cards in the program that's been developed over the years (I wrote it originally in 1984). For pips and numbers I draw from system fonts for scalability to window size. The court card pictures are oversize bitmaps that get drawn to scale; they tend to look OK at various sizes (maybe not really small, but it's not so nice playing with small card images anyway). What I have in mind is to allow users to use your program to make a 'deck' of their own cards and then select that 'deck' in my card game (maybe importing it). Is that feasible? Any vector graphics or fonts used for best scalability, or is it all bitmap? How would I draw them for that matter, are they accessible as images, pictures, etc? Do you have any card back designs the users could choose or make?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:22 pm

It certainly would be feasible to have the end users build a deck with pictures of the grandchildren (or whatever) and then have your app use the result.

Basically, it can take images from just about anywhere and place them on the card (be they bitmapped png, jpg, tiff, etc... or vector PDF) which can be used as court cards, generic "picture" cards, jokers, backs, etc... The output is then a bitmapped image file (png's) In theory, I could have the results be in some sort of vector format, but since most users will be grabbing photos from their iPhoto collections, the results will be bitmaps anyway. Each card ends up as a different file, with a fairly simple naming scheme (and you could just grab the folder full of images). One could also use the print system and print the results to a single PDF file, though importing a multi-page PDF is a bit more of a pain (but at least everything that started as a vector format would stay as one).