Anxiously Awaiting

quadrium | prime : write, mutate, evolve, animate : images, textures, fractals, art
marlenedegrood

Anxiously Awaiting

Post by marlenedegrood » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:17 pm

I have Quadrium l Flame and I am anxiously awaiting the release of Quadrium l Prime. Thank you so much for your hard work and fair price structure.
Marlene

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:57 pm

Thank you - I just finished the first draft of the user guide this afternoon (there were some problems where AppleScript behaved differently between 10.4 and 10.5 that were caught in the process - and using Leopard's "screen sharing" really worked slick to make it easier to compare the way two different machine worked)

So the last beta should be released to tester this weekend/Monday, and then find any last bugs and "release candidate 1" would hopefully follow...

marlenedegrood

Post by marlenedegrood » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:56 am

Great! Thank you so much for the update.
Marlene

Pharmagician

On the waiting list too...

Post by Pharmagician » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:36 pm

...I have quadrium | flame and quadrium2 and am definitely looking forward to prime. Thanks for keeping us up to date!

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:47 am

If you really want to stay up to the moment on its progress, I'd definitely recommend subscribing to the rss feed for the quadrium progress log:

HTML version - http://projects.gandreas.com/quadrium/p ... %20log.php

RSS feed - feed://www.gandreas.com/rss/quadrium.xml

That tends to get updated on a roughly weekly basis, covering all things related to future versions for the entire quadrium family...

Sheba

Post by Sheba » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:53 pm

How might it compare to something like Apophysis or Ultra Fractal?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:31 pm

Flame is similar to Apo (though has a whole bunch of extra capabilities, some of which are only now starting to be implemented in Apo, such as 3D flames)

Prime is kind of similar to UF but designed from the ground up to be extensible in small chunks (instead of just "transform", "formula", "colorer", there are literally dozens of different kinds of objects that can replaced/used with others - everything from full renderers down to little objects that simply adjust a value). For example, in UF anything that wants to make a colorer that is based on using traps has to re-implement all the different traps that they want. In prime, traps are just another kind of object (which can be derived from "anything that can measure"), so if you want to write a colorer that uses traps, you get all the traps installed (and any other traps others come up with). Plus the use of inheritance allows you to make a bunch of similar things using a common ancestor, and there is also a wider range of basic data type (for example, you can have a "expression" in the UI that allows the user to type in a formula, as well as UI items for gradient parameters, curves, and images).