Astrolgo - aspects applying or separating

gandreas software products on the iPhone/iPod touch
rif
IQ Test: Orange

Astrolgo - aspects applying or separating

Post by rif » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:48 am

Hi,

I am mainly using Astrolgo for traditional horary astrology at this time. As such, one of the most important features for me is to determine applying and separating aspects, and I find this awkward in Astrolgo.

If the main chart wheel included the degrees it would help but I realize the iPhone viewing area constraints make this problematic. Your current dial is a good solution for general use but it's hard for me to check whether aspects are applying or separating.

Another option would be to note in the aspect chart whether an aspect is applying or separating; although even that might be awkward on the iPhone. (There are no problems with screen size on iPad. :) ) Or perhaps the line that shows an aspect could be drawn different to indicate this.

Can you think of any ways you might be able to add an indication for applying versus separating aspects? I'm not sure how popular of a feature this would be but I'd sure find it helpful.

Thanks.

rif

solution to aspects

Post by rif » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:27 pm

After my earlier post, I figured out that the second dial element (looks like A triangle B) allows one to view the different aspects and see the degree differences involved.

If I read it right, a negative is an applying aspect and a positive is the separating, assuming fastest planet is always displayed first.

This seems like it will work well enough for my needs.

gandreas
Immortal

Re: Astrolgo - aspects applying or separating

Post by gandreas » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:57 am

Not quite: the + or - is not applying or separating, but rather the (signed) strength of the aspect (where 0 would be "perfectly aligned", < 0 being more acute, > 0 being more obtuse).

Due to retrograde motion, you can't immediately know if the aspect is applying or separating (and calculating that accurately can be computationally expensive - just because it may be "closer" tomorrow doesn't mean it is applying, since it may actually end up being further away later today and then come back again over night).

rif

Re: Astrolgo - aspects applying or separating

Post by rif » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:01 pm

gandreas wrote:Not quite: the + or - is not applying or separating, but rather the (signed) strength of the aspect (where 0 would be "perfectly aligned", < 0 being more acute, > 0 being more obtuse).
Ah, so that's an entirely different calculation.
Due to retrograde motion, you can't immediately know if the aspect is applying or separating (and calculating that accurately can be computationally expensive - just because it may be "closer" tomorrow doesn't mean it is applying, since it may actually end up being further away later today and then come back again over night).
Thank you for clarifying.

Will the planetary positional tab indicate retrograde motion? It sounds like I will need to look there to determine the state of aspects, which is fine as long as I know to do so. I am looking at aspects from a traditional viewpoint, which means I might see aspects differently in any case.

On a related note [feature request]: could you add an option to hide the aspect lines from the chart? I can turn off the aspect symbols but not the lines.