Astrolgo - bug displaying some planets in aspect dial?

gandreas software products on the iPhone/iPod touch
rif
IQ Test: Orange

Astrolgo - bug displaying some planets in aspect dial?

Post by rif » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:27 pm

Hi,

I am looking at the Moon square Sun, but the dial displays Sun square Moon. I believe the faster planet always aspects the slower, and should be listed first. I'd expect the display to be Moon square Sun.

However, I believe the degrees are reporting for the Moon Square sun. The dial says +5*35'.
Sun is Aqu 22*42', Moon is Tau 28*17'.

This is from a chart done on 2/11/11 at 2:05PM, Cleveland OH.

I hope that made sense, let me know if you need me to clarify anything. Thanks.

gandreas
Immortal

Re: Astrolgo - bug displaying some planets in aspect dial?

Post by gandreas » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:13 am

Astrolgo does not currently sort display by planet "speed". It is a feature I hope to implement in a future release once I can get an efficient set of calculations, however (which will include the capability to deal with slow of course, swift in motion, as well as determining if an aspect is forming or separating, etc...).

Of course, figuring out a good way to present all that extra information in the limited space that an iPhone screen presents is also going to be a challenge!

rif
IQ Test: Orange

Post by rif » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:59 am

gandreas wrote:Astrolgo does not currently sort display by planet "speed". It is a feature I hope to implement in a future release once I can get an efficient set of calculations, however (which will include the capability to deal with slow of course, swift in motion, as well as determining if an aspect is forming or separating, etc...).
I see. I'm fairly new to astrology, and my (naive?) viewpoint was that the aspects could simply be displayed according to distance; in Chaldean order. Although I am only using the seven classical planets.
Of course, figuring out a good way to present all that extra information in the limited space that an iPhone screen presents is also going to be a challenge!
True!

I think you've done a nice job of getting the information you have into the iPhone display; and the app looks great on the iPad. I didn't know it was universal when I bought it, and was pleasantly surprised to see the app accommodate the larger iPad screen.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:17 am

rif wrote:
gandreas wrote:Astrolgo does not currently sort display by planet "speed". It is a feature I hope to implement in a future release once I can get an efficient set of calculations, however (which will include the capability to deal with slow of course, swift in motion, as well as determining if an aspect is forming or separating, etc...).
I see. I'm fairly new to astrology, and my (naive?) viewpoint was that the aspects could simply be displayed according to distance; in Chaldean order. Although I am only using the seven classical planets.
I wish it were that simple. There are, however, two problem - first is that the order doesn't scale to all the objects that people want to use. As a simple example, Pluto crossses the orbit of Neptune, so sometimes it is closer to the sun, other times not. And even if you sort based on the current distance, planets speed up and slow down in their orbit (the whole "equal time covering equal area"). This isn't so much a problem for most of the major planets (since their orbits are close to circular, so the effect isn't that great). However, for some of the more exotic bodies, their orbit is more elliptical (with things like comets a good example of extreme elliptical orbits).

The bigger problem is that horoscopes are normally geocentric, and so they need to be factored in terms of the earthly point of view. As a result, the planets all appear to wander around (and thus the origin of the word "planet" meaning wanderer) - they speed up, slow down, sometimes come to a stop, go backwards, etc...