performance issue and suggestion

gandreas software products on the iPhone/iPod touch
IQ Test: Orange

performance issue and suggestion

Post by yavasure » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:40 pm

The time select function seems to prompt a calculation every time the wheel stops. This causes my ipod to freeze up as it calculates that chart before I can continue adjusting the time. I think that the chart calculation should happen when the close box is pressed, not when the wheel stops spinning.

I'm happy with this program, thank you for writing it.

Re: performance issue and suggestion

Post by gandreas » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:33 am

I'm working on a solution for these sorts of problems, but it'll be in the next major release (since it is going to require a fair amount of re-architecting).

Basically, the problem is that Astrolgo has grown to show too much information potentially, and the current UI (especially on the phone) is really getting taxed (short version - in order to lay out everything, it needs to calculate everything, since some layout requires knowing how many items to show which is based on the results of calculations).

The full solution requires redoing the UI (spent some good time with one of the Apple UI consultants at WWDC this past week discussing that) as well as moving more calculations to the background (which is another good reason not to use SWE as the engine, since it is not even remotely thread safe).