Dicenomicon+1

Simulated dice for role playing games
gandreas
Immortal

Dicenomicon+1

Post by gandreas » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:42 pm

You may have been wondering what has been up with The Dicenomicon...

The Dicenomicon has been completely re-architected and largely re-written from the ground up. The Dicenomicon was originally written for iOS 2.0 and was on the AppStore shortly after it opened. A lot has changed since then, but there was still special code designed to support older version of the OS, with code that still worked, but has been superseded with better ways of doing things years ago. And to truly be able to support the new features found in modern version of iOS, that code had to go (not to mention features that were possible but not practical in earlier versions of iOS)
This new version of The Dicenomicon is designed to support the latest features - including support for varying sizes of iOS devices (not just a single iPhone, or even iPhone/iPad/taller iPhone), and system features like iCloud Drive, and split screen multi-tasking. Internally, it is built using storyboards, frameworks, auto-layout, adaptive layout, collection views, page view controllers, and even is being slowly migrated to Swift. All of these things require newer versions of development tools (Xcode), and ultimately, dropping support for older versions of iOS (it currently supports iOS 8 or newer only, since Xcode 8 is required for development with iOS 10 but it only allows targeting back to support iOS 8 - this may be moved to iOS 9 for feature specific reasons if need be).
Specifically, new features include:
  • iCloud Drive support (as well as general third party storage support, replacing DropBox specific code)
  • 64 bit code
  • Multiple size devices, from the small “S” series all the way up to iPad Pros
  • New UI layout - backgrounds are more flexible and features are unified
  • Multitasking support
  • Accessories are now small movable palettes with new capabilities
  • Backgrounds are more flexible (and can be expanded to support a wider range of utilities)
  • Much more flexible “game room” system (to the point where one could, in theory, have multiple dice views with different game rooms all active at once - though that would have such a horrendous user experience it wouldn’t be practical)
There is still a lot of major functionality not converted/updated yet (such as the custom formula editor or character sheets) and some fairly annoying but, but the new features are pretty cool. I've got a few more major "hassle" level bugs to deal with but user testing via TestFlight should begin next week (depending on how fast it goes through TestFlight approval).

And more good news: If you're reading this, there's a good chance you'll get an email inviting you to test (if you've sent me email before, or made an account and posted in these forums, you'll be asked to be part of the beta test procedure)

Tektat04
Honored

Re: Dicenomicon+1

Post by Tektat04 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:16 pm

I'm in.

Uranium Dragon
Honored
IQ Test: Orange

Post by Uranium Dragon » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:47 pm

You know I'm in. In fact, just pulled up Dicenomicon on my iPhone and got a message saying “Dicenomicon may slow down your iPhone. The developer of this app needs to update it to improve its compatibility.”

HawthornThistleberry

Post by HawthornThistleberry » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:43 am

Glad to hear all that! Looking forward to it. I hope this sets the stage for some Apple Watch integration in some future version, too.

Crash Culligan

Post by Crash Culligan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:23 am

"Indiana Jones! I am so pleased you're not dead!"

I would be very much interested in helping to test this new version. And for what it's worth, I already have Test Flight installed.

bloodfang
Honored

Post by bloodfang » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:43 pm

Very cool i was just getting back into gaming.

Epimetreus

Post by Epimetreus » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:10 pm

Any update on this / are you still looking for testers?

I've been using Dicenomicon almost since the beginning, and I'd be happy to help.

Note that Apple is soon going to stop supporting 32-bit apps...

Epimetreus

Post by Epimetreus » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:01 am

It's been a month; no answer.

Are there any plans to issue a 64-bit implementation before Apple kills all 32-bit apps?

Thanks for your response.

Kilter

Post by Kilter » Thu May 04, 2017 1:53 pm

Any updates?

(Looks around for the "Press here to find out more" .... attempts perception check... fails.)

Pauliewilson

Post by Pauliewilson » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:27 am

I was just going to ask the same thing. I live this app and am willing to support it.

kipling

Post by kipling » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:45 am

Glad to hear it's still alive.

Epimetreus

Post by Epimetreus » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:10 pm

Not for very much longer, unless the developer does something about it.
I'm willing to pay for an updated version!