even number is a success, roll again on 6

Simulated dice for role playing games
Uranium Dragon
Honored
IQ Test: Orange

even number is a success, roll again on 6

Post by Uranium Dragon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:56 am

Okay, there may be a die macro already in the app, but, I'm going to ask here anyway.
I came across a game mechanic that, well, I'll just paste it here:
roll a number of d6 equal to the trait that applies to the attempted action. Every even number rolled counts as a success. If you roll a 6, you earn a success and you also get to roll that die again. Another even number earns you another success and, if you roll another 6, another roll. This continues as long as you keep rolling 6s.
Anyone have a macro for this?

gandreas
Immortal

Re: even number is a success, roll again on 6

Post by gandreas » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:42 am

That should be pretty simple - something like:

Condition: face = 6
Action: ReRoll
Value: 1

Condition: true
Value: 1 - face % 2

(Reroll on a 6, with a value of 1, otherwise the value is 1 if the face is even)

Uranium Dragon
Honored

Post by Uranium Dragon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:05 pm

Okay, ah, maybe I misspoke. What's that in a die roll for my Favorites?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:48 pm

You really can't do it as a die roll - you need to make a roll macro to do that.

Though it might be possible in a future version to add the ability to declare roll macros inside formulas - perhaps something like this

Code: Select all

:rollmacro:("EVS",{ "if" : :quote:(face = 6)
| "action" : "reroll"
| "value": 1},
{ "if" : 1
| "value" : :quote:(1 - face % 2)}).
3dEVS6
Though I'm not convinced that that isn't just plain hideous and ugly...

Uranium Dragon
Honored

Post by Uranium Dragon » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:19 pm

I've never really dealt with macros in Dicenomicon, probably surprising, just favorite rolls.
So, I make this macro, how do I use it? Does it roll just one die? Can I put it in the dice bar?

Nestor

Post by Nestor » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:06 am

Coincidentally, I just came into the forum looking for an answer to that same exact situation.

If I alternatively defined a success as rolling a 4, 5, or 6 (>3), could I then use a formula to define the roll? If so, what would it look like? It would be ideal if the number of dice to roll was an input parameter, similar to the way the damage roll for Hero is defined.

As a side issue, I'm still trying to understand just how to input formulas into the app; the doucmentation is somewhat vague on the subject. For the record, I've got the app running on an iPad 2.

Thanks! :)

Nestor

Post by Nestor » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:22 pm

Okay, so after bashing my head against the app and digging through the documentation, I think I found a solution, unfortunately too late to use in my demo.

As I mentioned, i switched to using 4, 5 and 6 as the success values; it's the same distribution as odds/evens and is easier to track. The dice formula ended up being:

Code: Select all

N d*6 > 3
Where N is the number of dice you want rolled.

I finally figured out how to define the roll parameter. You enter the "#1" parameter in the formula editor then double-tap the parameter on the line to define it (that last part took a while to unearth from the docs). Make sure the style is "Zero or positive". Save the formula as a favorite roll and you're cooking with gas. :)