The Dicenomicon and White Wolf games

Simulated dice for role playing games
Steelinsea
IQ Test: Orange

Re: The Dicenomicon and White Wolf games

Post by Steelinsea » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:05 am

Hmmm I've been following the instructions for this app and im having difficulty making exalted rolls :(

Wondered if you could help me out?

As I'm playing exalted system i need 10's to count at two success and also make sure that 1's DONT cancel a success.

Im using 10dXX7 at the moment and I cant seem to stop the 1's canceling, can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?

Tektat04
Honored

Post by Tektat04 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:33 pm

Steelinsea wrote:Hmmm I've been following the instructions for this app and im having difficulty making exalted rolls :(

Wondered if you could help me out?

As I'm playing exalted system i need 10's to count at two success and also make sure that 1's DONT cancel a success.

Im using 10dXX7 at the moment and I cant seem to stop the 1's canceling, can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?
Try 10dxx7vs1.

Steelinsea

Post by Steelinsea » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:31 am

Got it. :D

Thanks Tektat!

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:11 pm

Apparently I'm the only one who isn't playing Exalted...

Tektat04
Honored

Post by Tektat04 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:56 pm

gandreas wrote:Apparently I'm the only one who isn't playing Exalted...
Your are not alone. I don't play Exalted either.

JohnnyCanuck

Post by JohnnyCanuck » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:00 pm

I'm still struggling with this. Has anyone made a tutorial video, or something?

Basically, I'd love to be able to add standard NWoD dice to the dicebar. Target number of greater than or equal to 8, re-roll and add tens, and a roll of 1 does nothing special.

Has anyone come up with a solution as of yet?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:27 pm

Right now you may not be able to do exactly what you want to do.

First, some definitions - read the new Dicenomicon Spellbook entry: Dice Specifications.

The "die bar" is used to specify what to roll (including a color, but not including a count), and how to roll it (i.e., a roll macro). It does not, however, allow for a "reducer" (the thing that figures out how to take a bunch of values from separate dice and reduce to a single value), since it uses the default "add everything together" reducer (and since you can't specify how many dice you roll anyway, it would be meaningly if it could).

So, you can specify d10TN8 or d10XX8 but not d10TN8vs1 (just like there is no way to do 4d6H3 in the die bar).

If you just want to have an arbitrary number of d10s rolled (one for each tap), and have it total the number that show 8 or higher on their face (note that "if you get a 10, roll and add 10 to that" doesn't really give you anything, since that first 10 is already higher than 8, so rolling extra won't give you anything). If that is what you want, there are two ways to get this:

A) Make a custom d10 with the first 7 faces have a value of 0 (and have a blank face on them), and then have the last three have a value of 1 (with perhaps a nice glyph or icon on them). Put an instance of that die on the die bar (this makes for the coolest results)

or
B) Make a roll macro with the following actions (let's call it GE):
if face ≥ tn
value = 1
if true
value = 0
And then add d10GE8 to the die bar.

If you want to have a result of 10 mean "this counts as one success, roll the die again for possibly another separate success", make the die bar entry d*10GE8

Whitewings

Post by Whitewings » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:12 pm

The WoD chance roll doesn't seem to work right. "Failure" displays on a roll of 10, which is the only possible success. Though Dramatic failure does work correctly.

JohnnyCanuck

Post by JohnnyCanuck » Mon May 31, 2010 9:44 pm

Now that 2.5 is out, is there any update to this being included for future releases?

JohnnyCanuck

Post by JohnnyCanuck » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:39 am

Bumping again for the 3.0.2 release!

Scootmien

Post by Scootmien » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:27 pm

Firstly, I love the app. Simply brilliant on my new iPad!

However, I can't get the Exalted dice rolls to work.

I'm using (for a four dice roll) 4dXX7vs1

If that roll comes up as 10, 7, 5, 1 it should count as three successes, but the 1 subtracts from the total, only giving me two successes. It seems that regardless of what the total number of successes is, a 1 always subtracts from the total, whereas, ad you know, a 1 should only count if no successes were achieved.

Any help gratefully received as I fully appreciate it's probably my limited brain power causing the screw ups. :-D

Scootmien

Post by Scootmien » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:25 am

Ah, for some reason it can't parse the entire string. it seems to only parse the 4dXX7 part and ignores the vs1 on the end.

if anyone could help me out with this I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Scootmien

Post by Scootmien » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:15 pm

I've been trying to work out what the issue is but I simply can't. Is it to do with the spacing between functions/modifiers perhaps?

I use the native keyboard option and no matter how I type 4dXX7vs1 it still ignores the 'vs1' part, I'm tearing my hair out trying to get this to work so if anyone can offer any advice on what I'm doing wrong, I would be very grateful.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:53 am

4dXX7vs1 seems to work fine with the native keyboard option, but it definitely fails with the default keyboard with the current version. I'm hoping to submit a bug fix release later this week with this problem addressed.

<edit>More specifically, it appears that you need to type 4dXX7 vs 1 to get it to work right (i.e., add a space between the "vs" and "1")</edit>

By "ignores the 'vs1' part", what exactly do you mean? Can you give me some examples of rolls that you roll, and what the results are, and what you expect the results to be?

Scootmien

Post by Scootmien » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:49 pm

gandreas wrote:4dXX7vs1 seems to work fine with the native keyboard option, but it definitely fails with the default keyboard with the current version. I'm hoping to submit a bug fix release later this week with this problem addressed.

<edit>More specifically, it appears that you need to type 4dXX7 vs 1 to get it to work right (i.e., add a space between the "vs" and "1")</edit>

Brilliant, thanks very much. I've just tried it with the native keyboard and it doesn't work for me. i really must be doing something wrong. I've even tried it with the space so my formula looks like '4dXX7 vs 1' and on one roll it returned the results 10, 9, 3, 1, which should be three successes, but it blacked out the one and subtracted it, only giving me two successes (piccy below)
gandreas wrote:By "ignores the 'vs1' part", what exactly do you mean? Can you give me some examples of rolls that you roll, and what the results are, and what you expect the results to be?
Basically, it resolves the 4dXX7 part of the formula perfectly but does not resolve the 'vs 1' part at all, like in the example I gave above. So this means that it won't resolve the Exalted 'rule of one' where a one will only subtract from the roll if zero successes are rolled.