Custom Dice
20%
Roll Macros
40%
Rotating view
No votes
Copy/Paste in the formula editor
40%
Downloadable content (textures, background, etc...)
No votes

Total votes: 5

gandreas
Immortal

The Dicenomicon 2.0 - Out the Door!

Post by gandreas » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:15 am

The Dicenomicon 2.0 has officially been submitted to the AppStore, so hopefully it will be approved and ready for download soon. It is a massive update, and includes:

- Sounds, including sounds of dice rolling, as well as being able to specify sounds to be played as part of a formula
- Formulas can included formatted text (such as color, bold, etc...)
- Ability to create custom dice, containing images, colored/formatted text, specific values, etc...
- Formula editor includes the ability to select range of text, copy, paste
- Formulas can be edited in a web-browser
- More dice shapes, including d48 and d60
- Can create "roll macros" that allow for more sophisticated control of how the dice roll/reroll ("if you roll a 1, roll again, doubling the total result...")
- More dice colors (white, gray, orange, brown)
- Ability to download additional dice textures, backgrounds, sounds, custom dice, etc...
- View can be rotated in 3D to view the dice in different angles
- Game System formula database rewritten, with integrated support for accessing latest online set of formulas.

Tektat04
Honored

Post by Tektat04 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:27 pm

I can't wait!!!

I voted for the copy and paste. That is one feature I'm sadly missing for the iPhone in general.

The roll macro comes in a very close second on my list of anticipated features.

Custom dice and downloadble content are also up on the must have features.

Sound and the rotation of view are low on my list of must have. But I'm reserving jugment ontill I get to try them.

More dice and dice colors are also great. Same goes for the rest of what you just annouce.

jlaw

Post by jlaw » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:50 pm

:D First of all -- great program, and I am very eagerly awaiting the update to come through.

I voted for copy/paste as my most anticipated (as the lack of this on the iPhone may possibly be the #1 thing I'm waiting/hoping for/is missing from the iPhone/don't like about the iPhone). That said... I doubt it will be as important to me anymore, as I will likely use the browser editor primarily now.

For what it's worth, here's some additional feedback on the upcoming features:
  • Formulas (web browser editing, copy/paste/formatted text): can't wait!
  • Roll macros: very interested to try these out
  • Formula database rewritten: not sure how this will affect my use yet, but I like the access to latest online formulas
  • More dice shapes/colors/custom dice and downloadables: variety is always good
  • Sounds: this should be fun to play with (and thought the lack of roll sound was odd, but certainly never bothered me)
  • 3D rotation: kewl... nothing i needed at all, but kewl

animerunt

Post by animerunt » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:06 am

Since no one else has asked it seems. How much longer do we have to wait? Did they reject it, or are they hogging it all to themselves?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:21 am

I have absolutely no idea how long it will take (this is the longest I've ever had to wait - normally it's around a week), nor any control in the matter what so ever, or even any effective way to tell what is going on.

I'm guessing that all the extra web/online related features are causing additional scrutiny, but that's just a guess.

animerunt

Post by animerunt » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:33 pm

Would it be possible for you to link to the new documentation so we can look at how some of the new stuff will work, such as the macros?

I would like to write some formulas out and play around with some ideas.

Zelannii

Post by Zelannii » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:16 pm

No word yet?

Jirekianu

Post by Jirekianu » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:07 pm

This is where I start to get snarky. Well, I would if it would help. I just hope apple stops muckin' about and remembers they were supposed to finosh reviewing and giving the go ahead to a much anticipated update to a loved program. Even one of my friends ended up buying a touch because of dicenomicon.

Jirekianu

Post by Jirekianu » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:51 am

Okay, according to a friend apple is currently being flooded with applications for review and they're scrambling to meet demand. What was supposedly a six hour wait time has now become a wait measured in over a month of time. Of course this could all be rumor, but it seems a valid reason as to why it's taking apple so long.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:15 am

They've been swamped for a while, and swamped with "trivial" apps that they still have to look through. I think my case is slightly worse, since there a whole lot of features in this release, including many that involve online components, which require additional examination.

I can say that my m.o.t.e.s. update took like 8 days to be approved (which was submitted about a week after The Dicenomicon 2.0), but that had fewer features to deal with.

animerunt

Post by animerunt » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:34 am

What gets me is that I've seen multiple updates to a single app. But they don't seem to have the time to get to the best one...

DanT

Post by DanT » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:27 pm

how on earth can they test all the features coming out? They must have some sort of scanner for system calls that are suspect. I cannot imagine them analyzing every bell and whistle, or even finding them.

I can't wait for the next release of DM. I want to make people dice!

(FYI: I lucked out and got on the nethack beta test. IT is very sweet. You of course have to like nethack and random instantaneous death, but currently I am traveling and there is nothing like kicking "the dark one's butt" while waiting for your plane to board!)