4E Criticals

Simulated dice for role playing games
Thebitterguy

4E Criticals

Post by Thebitterguy » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:38 pm

Okay, I know I'm probably missing something very simple, but I have several formulas for my 4E character. I roll a d20 + bonus to hit, and damage dice.

How do I change the damage formula so it automatically generates maximum damage when the d20 roll is a 20?

Thanks,

Justin

Zelannii

Post by Zelannii » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:12 pm

Here's the whole DnD 4e workup for attack rolls including support for critical hit calculations, magic Item bonus dice, even an option for sneak attack dice:

This includes crit calculation (but not the optional "1 = flop" house rule). I'm sure you can figure out how to add that...

Let's assume you make a formula for a weapon that uses a D10 for it's damage die. (You'll unfortunately need a seperate formula for each damage die type since support for a variable die is not yet supported). You're rolling a D20 to hit, a D10 for dmg, and possibly multiple D6 (magic weapon dmg on a crit)

Basic 4e rules followed:
1) a natural 20 is always a hit, even if less than the target AC)
2) On a Natural 20 if 20 + to hit bonuses > AC its a crit.
3) A Crit = max weapon damage (max all rolled numbers that are part of the base attack damage) Bonus dice are still rolled seperately.
4) on a crit, magic weapons get additional D6s to roll equal to magic item bonus value (+3 weapon gets +3d6 on a crit).

OK, so here it is:
@1 <- Gd20 + #1. @2 <- Bd8. if $1=20 then if @1 ≥ #2 then "Crit" + (10 + #3 + #4Kd6) else "Hit" + (@2 + #3) end else if @1 ≥ #2 then "Hit" + (@2 + #3) else "Miss" + @1 + "vs" + #2 end end

the 4 variables used are:
#1 the to hit bonus - The "+X" part of "+X vs AC" on your power cards, if you're using automatically generated cards like those in the DnDi Character Builder of Wonko's 4E Excell Based Character Sheet (This takes into account ability bonuses, half level, magic to-hit bonuses, etc, to hit) ie, do the math and if your current attack is +10 vs AC, put 10 in #1.
#2 AC you're trying to hit (could also be refl, will, etc) This is the target you need to roll to hit the enemy
#3 Damage bonus - number in addition to the D10 rolled that applies to damage (aka [1W] + 10, its the "10"). Again, assumes you or some program already did the math...
#4 Magic Dice - How many "+X" is you magic item (weapon, implement, etc). If you have a +3 blade, this is "3"

HERE'S ANOTHER VERSION! ...accounting for sneak attack damage as well:
@1 <- Gd20 + #1. @2 <- Bd8. @3 <- 2Rd6. if $1=20 then if @1 ≥ #2 then "Crit" + (22 + #3 + #4Kd6) else "Hit" + (@2 + #3 + @3) end else if @1 ≥ #2 then "Hit" + (@2 + #3 + @3) else "Miss" + @1 + "vs" + #2 end end

Note the "10" after "Crit" is now 22? That's the D10 + 2D6 added as part of the crit damage (madic D6 are seperate). Make sure to edit that number each time you mess with this formula!!!

For [2W] and [3w] etc damage calculations, simply add @2 multiple times (or multiply it). The additional magic weapon damage and any other bonuses should already be included in your damage bonus (#3). For example, a [3w] attack that uses a D12 would look like this:
@1 <- Gd20 + #1. @2 <- Bd12. if $1=20 then if @1 ≥ #2 then "Crit" + (32 + #3 + #4Kd6) else "Hit" + (@2 +@2 +@2 + #3) end else if @1 ≥ #2 then "Hit" + (@2 + @2 + @2 + #3) else "Miss" + @1 + "vs" + #2 end end

Hope all you DnD 43 guys appreciate this!