Web Editor Bugs

Simulated dice for role playing games
Zelannii

Web Editor Bugs

Post by Zelannii » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:31 pm

1) Each time a formula is opened, copied, or pasted, all the ">=" become the SYMBOL for >=... This is a problem as the formula will not validate with ">=" symbols in the text. I have to manually delete each symbol and replace it with the explicit ">=" 2 characters of text. I had to do this about 80 times tonight writing new formulas.... Tried with both IE and Opera. Didn't try with Safari, Chrome, or FireFox.

2) Creating a new formula is not an obvious process, and in some cases, simple mistakes could cause you to overwrite a working formula with a draft formula. For instance, to copy a formula to make a revision (say, using a different damage die) requires you to ensure your current formula is saved and added, then click "add" to make a new formula (it will show up as 3D6), then edit the 3D6 formula, change it's name and text, then click validate, then save, then ADD again? We need both a "save" button and a "create new" button (allowing us to open one, edit the text and title, then click "NEW" to add it as a new formula...

3) after finishing editing, when I click "Stop Server" on the iPhone, if I don;t immediatly click the "home" button and close the app on the phone, it crashes, and no changes are saved. (This REALLY pissed me off after a 2 hour editing session dealing with the above bugs!)

4) I though we'd be able to leave the web editor open and "test" formulas. I don;t kow if that's supposed to work or not, but with the above bug, I can't confirm...

5) Need an option to always use the same port number (manually selectable please) for the web port on the phone...

6) why 2 different private IP addresses? I'm on 192.x.x.... also shows a 10.x.x..... Is it trying to detect and create an external IP? Cellular perhaps? If it is, I want to be able to block anything except the LAN IP address. (not to comfortable having a publically accessible IP on the device).

7) I'm sure you're working hard at it, but would love for the web interface to have buttons for font/dice/etc modifiers. Have not memorized all those options yet, and I really don't want to have to manually edit that on the phone...

Any chance you're working on a standalone editor (a desktop app that's a gui to work on formulas using the same process and visuals as the phone (just with a BIG button panel instead of multiple sub-panels)?

btw: AWESOME work. Glad Apple finally approved it!

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:48 am

1) Unfortunately I've no easy way to test with IE or Opera (Safari and FireFox being the two primary test cases), but I'll investigate. Writing stuff that supports multiple browsers is always a nightmare...

2) Actually, it sounds like you want a "duplicate" button?

3) I've not seen this (and I've used the web based editor to do some fairly complicated stuff), but if you have a crash log I can investigate it better.

4) Nope - the server only runs while the server screen is shown (and then due to the design of Bonjour, you end up with a new port number each time you reactivate it). Basically, if the webserver were running while you were doing other things, bad things could happen - imagine editing dice while they were rolling, or editing a formula both on the device and through the webserver at the same time...

5) I can probably add a manually selectable port (though you've no way to know if that port number already is in use by "something else")

6) Basically, it is binding to whatever it finds, since the WiFi address and the Cellular address (and in 3.0, the Bluetooth address) look an awful lot alike. Worse, there is nothing in CFSocket that allows you to control the interface you bind with. To be truthful, I'm not sure if the cellular address is actually externally visible (if it is, it is only for devices on the same cell tower), since it seems unlikely that incoming connections are automatically forwarded through the cell's NAT (this would probably be a major security risk in general).

7) That's a good idea...

8) I've toyed with the idea of a desktop version (and almost wrote one when I started working with custom dice images until I came up with a decent "pick an image from a web page" process - trying to upload images by synching was super painful). Unfortunately, it would only be available for OS X...

Zelannii

Post by Zelannii » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:24 am

1: I'll test with Safari. Need a good reason to use that browser more anyway.

2: Yup, copying a program to re-use most of the code with minor edits. As part of copying, you may also want to considder letting the copy be placed in any room, not just the current one.

3: How do i get you a crash log? I'll try to duplicate the effect in a few days when i can sit at the home PC again...

4: understood. Not an issue. Maybe with a desktop client we could just test roll there, or in a java applett, but you also answered that seperately...

5: odds are, if we opened the port once successfully, nothing else is using it, and likely won;t in the future, especially since you're bound to 1 app at a time :) If you can't add this, bonjour might make it easy enough...

6: I wonder if the 2nd IP is a phone-to-phone connection? Or we're getting different IPs for G and N networks? Either way, we'll see what 3.0 does for that... direct bluetooth to the PC would be neat as well. ...speaking of phone-to-phone: multiple users in a room, now I can roll against other players and potentially they could see the reults on screen. Challenge rolls can happen on both screens at the same time too! very cool future plan?

7: thanks :) While you're at it, how about a landscape version of your custom keyboard?

Mac OS is fine by me :D Don't have one atm, but getting a new mini in a few weeks, and a powerbook for the wife this summer... Sold my last mac 2 years ago and never got around to buying a replacement. Spent too much on keeping PCs and servers alive/upgrading to afford it. Just me, the wife, and a 15 month old baby, and I've got 5 computer systems in the house as it is...

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:14 pm

3) Crash logs are found by synching the device with iTunes, and then:
Whenever you synchronize your iPhone or iPod Touch, all the crash logs are transferred to your computer. Here are their locations:
Mac OS X : ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<DEVICE_NAME>
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Apple computer\Logs\CrashReporter/<DEVICE_NAME>
Windows Vista: C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Apple computer\Logs\CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<DEVICE_NAME>
The log file names start with application name and have the extension “crash”. They are just plain text files and can be sent by e-mail in original or zipped form, or even copy-pasted into your e-mail program.
6) The two different IP addresses should be the WiFi address and the Cellular address. I'm guessing that in 3.0 BlueTooth gets a third (but I don't know for sure - they say Bonjour runs over BlueTooth which implies an IP stack, even though BlueTooth has its own discovery and other weird protocols).

I'll be investigating some of the ramifications/ideas of 3.0 in the upcoming weeks (once I invest in some hardware to dedicate for 3.0). The source base seems to work OK as is in the 3.0 simulator after a recompile, so hopefully all I have to worry about is new features...

gvarnadoe

Re: Web Editor Bugs

Post by gvarnadoe » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:55 pm

I have had the crash after edit problem also.
It has happened with both Firefox and IE7. I have also tried shutting down the server app both before and after disconnecting the browser.
I have crash reports available for the last couple of instances. What would be the best way to get them to you?

Beautiful app BTW. Thanks.