3.0 Features

Simulated dice for role playing games
gandreas
Immortal

3.0 Features

Post by gandreas » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:55 pm

And interestingly, I'm talking about both The Dicenomicon 3.0 and the iPhone 3.0 Firmware here...

So obviously a bunch of things have been announced for the iPhone 3.0 Firmware update - some of the features are obvious to support (such as copy & paste). Others are interesting but not all that useful (spotlight to search your formulas? Maybe not).

However, one important feature has some interesting ideas - the device-to-device connectivity. So the question then is "what would you like to see?" A side question is how many people have more than one person in their gaming group that would have an iPhone or iPod Touch to make any sort of device-to-device communication useful at all...

animerunt

Post by animerunt » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:00 pm

D2D connectivity would be awesome. My GM has an iphone and another 2 friends are thinking about getting one just for this.

I think it would be cool to share a 'room' with the gm so that you both see the same dice and allow the gm to change the pre roll inputs such as the 'to hit' number.

OR

Multiple people connect to a 'room' and everyone has a specific color dice.
This would be awesome for initiative rolls. maybe have an output of everyones names with there respective number in order.

Fruny

Re: 3.0 Features

Post by Fruny » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:19 pm

The ability to share formulas & other parameters may be obvious, but still needs to be listed. :)

The ability for the GM to set up a roll, a player to roll it and the GM to get the result is also obvious... but how about an option for *only* the GM to get the result, for secret rolls? That would mean the dice on the player side would still roll, but would show all blank faces... (sounds could optionally still play on the GM's device, or on both...)

animerunt

Post by animerunt » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:14 pm

You may have this in mind and I may just be repeating you. But what about showing certain results on different devices?

e.x. You make a roll and you get the damage on yours and the gm gets the 'to hit' result. Allowing for there to be more conversation in the game. "You hit, what damage did you do?" etc...

Side note: like the new look, much easier on the eyes.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:15 pm

Fruny wrote:how about an option for *only* the GM to get the result, for secret rolls? That would mean the dice on the player side would still roll, but would show all blank faces..
That wouldn't quite work in anything that has open-ended rolls, since you'd see the die pop-up and reroll, so the player would know that something was up.

I think there a general issue of coming up with a good way to share or not share the roll results. So when the DM is rolling to see if a monster hits a player, the player would want to see that. When the DM is rolling to see if the player detected a secret door, you won't want to show that (since then the player would know the difference between "failed to detect" and "nothing to detect").

So the first step is deciding if the "voyeur" rolls are all about GM <-> Player, or if there needs to be Player <-> Player as well. While traditional roll playing would probably be handled by the first case, imagine how much fun things like Risk would be where each player rolled their appropriate dice, and it could automatically calculate the final results...

Something along the lines of tagging die rolls with "who rolls them" tags. Perhaps just "local" and "remote", and, like asking for parameters, it would ask who in the "joined" group would be the remote roller (and in the mean time, the remote person gets some sort of popup that says "roll your dice for this").

And on a completely different 3.0 specific idea, I was also considering the ability to be able to purchase special "premiere" custom dice, sort of like the Q-workshop stuff.

Tribal

Post by Tribal » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:10 am

How about getting your results in land scape mode? when you have you iphone on its side you can see longer strings of text then.

I love the idea of having a "game table" between iphones.

Keep up the good work.

Zelannii

Post by Zelannii » Fri May 15, 2009 3:13 pm

OK, now we're talkin...

1) Let the GM define rolls and share them to other players and vice versa (obvios).

2) Let players build a "character" file. Let the GM do the same. Let me explain: I have rolls that take AC, Magic Items bonuses, to-hid buffs, etc as inputs. I have tyo ask my player's "what's your AC currently" before making each roll... Instead of having to type in the values into the 4 inputs each roll, I could "import" another shared "character" as the target, automatically importing that character's current armor value and resistances. I select a character from my list to try to hit that character with which would import the to-hit values, and a particular roll program which would determine the weapon bonuses and damage. I roll, it tells me if I hit him or not, and displays on his screen the damage he takes if hit. If it's real smart, it could even monitor HP for us... (of course, then we need to have "negative damage" rolls for healing and sleeping....) Also, with a "character" file, a subset of programs could easily be made available to that character, so when scrolling through my programs, i'd only see the programs I chose to associate with that character. When creating a "character" let me specify existing programed rolls that character would have access to (including "modified" or custom versions of the program specific to that character). What would be real cool is being able to load an attack program then tap someone else's phone, (or both of you shake at the same time) and the program automatically communicates this information based on the activation. (like Bump does for contact info).

3) roll-offs. For "challenge" rolls, pick a player, load a challenge program, and then you roll and he rolls, and the combined results are displayed to both of you as winner/looser, numebr of successes, etc. Both players see all the dice on both of their screens.

4) integrate chat! Let players running the program on the same subnet send quick chat messages to each other, REAL handy for role playing without letting the DM know what you're up to, or for the DM to let players know something without announcing it to the whole party.

5) initiative management. Let the DM send out an "initiative alert" and all the characters and (from their character profile) load and roll initiative, and the results are returned to the DM. The DM also may have NPC or Mobs that fit into that initiative round. Now players gain "control" of the table on their turn, and click "done" to pass control to the next player in the round who gets an on-screen notification (blink and beep would be fine, it would be annoying to have to click something) This would tie back to #2 so when it;s your turn, and you choose to attack something, you get a list of what's available to attack and their screen notifies them (especially if there's a challenge roll involved).

6) Game notifications. Let DMs get their player's iPhone phone numbers, or though a function of dicenomicon some unique app ID for the push notification system. GMs can send alerts to their players through this system informing them of game night information, and players can respond to the DM, or other players, through this system. Sure, this can be done through SMS or e-mail, but this way each game table has specifc people associated with the game, and it's easy to send all of them communication at once. Also let the DM and players share programs through this system.

These are just a few ideas... I'm at work, so can't waste much more time...

7)

Tribal

Post by Tribal » Sat May 16, 2009 2:24 pm

How about the ability to adjust the font size in the settings?

how about a custom feature for the quick role bar at the bottom, that can be for each table you have?

Whitewings
IQ Test: Orange

Post by Whitewings » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:09 pm

One thing I'd like to see: On the lighter dice, white and yellow to be specific, black markings would be very nice.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:21 am

I've looked into doing that, but the problem is that things like white and yellow are only "suggestions", and may not be that light on some textures. I'll probably add a texture specific mapping for the various inks in a future release... (Plus you can make a custom numeric die that has explicit ink color via the string formatting)

Jarl

Post by Jarl » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:59 pm

Is there any news on the release date of version 3.0? Or is Apple taking its sweet time again? :)

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:13 pm

Sorry, got a little ahead of my version features (a week of WWDC all about 3.0 does that).

The current Dicenomicon is still 2.0, and the "3.1" features article really should be 2.1 (and what features from OS 3.0 it adopts).

Maybe I should switch to using obscure animal names...

ken_snellings

Post by ken_snellings » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:43 pm

I'd like to see a PC or Mac version of this software. Something that we could use to program and test our scripts and THEN interface them into the iDevice. Fighting with my iPhone, or even the remote web editor is difficult.

Love the program though :)

Cheers,

Ken

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:27 pm

I actually have a little OS X debugging/testing utility I made to test the parser/formatter, which lets one enter text and it can reformat it (convert between using just ASCII or full Unicode characters as well), validate syntax as you type, etc...

The biggest draw back is that besides there not being an easy way except for the web based editor to interact with the device, it doesn't support custom dice or roll macros (which will result in stuff not parsing at all).

I'm planning on beefing it up at some point for an OS X desktop front end for working with formulas, custom dice, roll macros, and a few other things (like rolling the formula a whole bunch of time and making a chart of the distribution of the results).

BGVampire

My 2 cents on new features

Post by BGVampire » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:04 pm

I would like to see 6 or more parameters.
the ability to set a parameter to 0 (currently if you set it to 0 it makes it 1).
the ability to have a delayed roll with Exalted i had a formula to roll attack check with defense value hit or miss, add extra successes to damage and subtract soak. it would be nice if i could roll that many D10s after the fact.
being able to set a dice size parameter would be great.

i have made dice rollers for all the games I play with Diceanomicon and am very happy with it but these few features would allow me to have a 1 size fits all dice roller for each system respectively.

if anyone wants the formula for my 4E D&D Attack + Damage roller it's SWEET
it checks for crit and crit fail adds attack mod if not a crit or crit fail. calculates damage separately for the crit and a normal hit and lets you set the W value and the attack and the High Crit Value of the weapon
if there were more parameters available I would add sneak/quarry.
and with parameters not being able to be set at 0 adding high crit value and sneak/quarry doesn't work right if you don't have them.

and without a die size parameter you have to set one up for each weapon you are carrying you cant have just 1.