Character Sheets

Simulated dice for role playing games
gandreas
Immortal

Character Sheets

Post by gandreas » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:37 pm

I mentioned this in passing in an earlier post, thought I'd explain it a bit better.

The next major release of The Dicenomicon (where major is "not an emergency bug fix" release) will include "Character Sheets" - basically building up on global variables and game rooms.

You'll be able to select a character sheet (based on the game system you play), and then, when you select the list of formulas, at the top of the list will be character specific information (and more will appear at the bottom of the list).

So there will be your characters stats, current HP, etc... (stats would probably be in the "footer" view, since you normally don't need to see them that often, depending on the game system). These field can potentially be editable, allowing you to easily alter, for example, your hit points (ideally even for more complicated things like the Storyteller wound counter)

This is nice and interesting, but the character sheets can contain buttons that will roll accordingly (not all that different than the list of rolls that would normally appear, but if a game was based on "roll vs stats", you could tap on the stat and it would make that roll).

But wait, it'll get better. Displaying the information is nice (since it'll be formatted better than global variables), and the buttons to roll information is perhaps easier to use than the longer list of rolls, but we want to take it further by being able to have "tables" that you can select items from.

So, for example, you may have a list of skills - select the skill and it rolls a skill test (including factoring in the appropriate stat). Or keep a list of your weapons - you can then change your current weapon and the appropriate global gets updated to reflect the new damage caused by that weapon.

BlackLazarus
IQ Test: Orange

Re: Character Sheets

Post by BlackLazarus » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:42 pm

It's nice to have real gamer/s work on a project this good and effective. Usually gamer products are very poor... and non-gamer products are usually ineffective.

Thank you very much.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:13 pm

Here's a quick preview of what it can look like:

Across the top are your stats - tapping on them would roll an attribute based test roll. The HP bar can be adjusted by tapping the + or - buttons (much nicer than wearing through a character sheet with an eraser, or having to count little beads). And yes, when the value gets below certain thresholds, the "HP" prompt changes color to have a little extra impact.

Then comes a list of skills - tapping on the skill will perform the skill test (combing the skill level and the modifier for the appropriate attribute).

Finally comes the regular list of favorite rolls (just like before). There can also be additional lists (say, for selecting the current weapon) as well as a "footer" on the display with less critical information, such as current gold and the like... Additional information can be displayed in the "global variables" section on the back (which is where the values for character sheets live).

Obviously these character sheets will need to be game specific, but they are internally implemented as XML files which will be downloadable via the Dicetorium, just like all other downloadable content (and, depending on requests, there may be multiple styles of character sheets for the same game system). As for making your own, there won't be any built in way to handle that (just too much stuff, too tricky, too hard to edit on the device), but hopefully uploading via the web based editor will be added (or some other similar mechanism)

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:29 pm

And this is what a WoD sheet might look like:
This is still preliminary - there's no support for actually taking/healing damage, but it's got potential...

Jarl

Post by Jarl » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:31 am

This looks great to say the least! But I'm worrying about the additional workload placed on the user; will there be a more or less complete template for, say, D&D 4th? It's already some work just creating die rolls and implementing them in different "powers"... Which reminds me, can we get some sort of roll duplication feature next time? If you copy the script of a roll to a new roll you don't get the parameters...

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:59 am

Jarl wrote:This looks great to say the least! But I'm worrying about the additional workload placed on the user; will there be a more or less complete template for, say, D&D 4th? It's already some work just creating die rolls and implementing them in different "powers"...
See poll in "What's everybody playing" post...
Which reminds me, can we get some sort of roll duplication feature next time? If you copy the script of a roll to a new roll you don't get the parameters...
It would be nice if the table view could have both a + and - button shown when you tap the "edit" button - that would make it trivial to do this (internally, it's trivial to implement - presenting the UI to allow the user to indicate this is the tricky part).

bloodfang
Honored

Post by bloodfang » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:24 pm

This new character sheet feature looks great, as a DnD 4e player I'd like to see a way of flagging a roll/power as having been used. So I can keep track of what I still have available.

I've been doing all my rolls on Dicenomicon including formulas to do both twin strike attacks on the ranger and hit/crit damage and checks to see which applies. Being able to track it all on the app would be great.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:11 pm

This new character sheet feature looks great, as a DnD 4e player I'd like to see a way of flagging a roll/power as having been used. So I can keep track of what I still have available.
By an absolutely amazing coincidence, I just got the 4e character sheet to support powers, with a little check box that appears once it's been used. Obviously, since all powers are so radically different, having built in rolls for all of them is going to be a problem, so instead it'll just attempt to roll a user defined roll with that same name (if available). This would then let you add "house rule" powers as well.

Ayjona
IQ Test: Orange

Post by Ayjona » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:20 pm

This is the most exciting Dicenomicon feature I've heard of yet (though I admit that had I been around from the start, being able to roll dice would probably have topped the list :wink: ).

I mused about the Dicenomicon transforming into a complete gaming aid for RPGs, and this carries the app almost all the way.

However, with all this added information being saved in the app, I feel a great need for backing up all the rolls, macros and characters we might enter into the Dicenomicon. Me, being jailbroken, can probably use iFile to back up the Dicenomicon folder, but for the unbroken users, perhaps a quick "backup all custom information to computer", as a part of the web-based editor, would be a very useful function.

Of course, being able to back up everything, directly from the iPhone, to an online server, would be even greater, but I understand if keeping a backup server simply for this purpose might be a bit cumbersome and expensive :wink:

Tribal

Post by Tribal » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:51 pm

Will this support pathfinder and 3.5 and such also?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:47 am

The plan is ultimately to include support for major systems, as voted on by in the "what's everybody playing" poll, with support for later updating new characters as well as allowing for users to edit/create their own.

Character sheets are implemented as an xml file - preliminary documentation (for those really curious) can be found here CharSheet.

What's more, character sheets "inherit" from other character sheets, so you can just make a custom sheet that inherits from another sheet so you can get all the formulas, views, etc... and add/change just what you need.

The current goal is to make sure that some of the biggest ones work so I can begin the long and painful process of getting it approved and released - in the mean time, I can have additional character sheets/updates in the online Dicetorium which won't require painful approval...

bloodfang
Honored

Post by bloodfang » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:05 pm

gandreas wrote:By an absolutely amazing coincidence, I just got the 4e character sheet to support powers, with a little check box that appears once it's been used.
Sweet, adding the check box will be great. If you cal also add support for stuff that doesn't need rolls. So i can use it as a master list and check off powers that I've used but don't require any die rolls.

The current version allows me to color code the Favorite Rolls. Here's a sample of one of my characters Game Rooms on Dicenomicon.

Also being able to add more text below the name would be great. I've tried with \n\- to get a 2nd line but no go. Something like this, the smaller bit of text under the main description.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:45 pm

That's an excellent idea - so good, that I've added it (with an enhancement or two) to the next version.

The "favorite roll" table now displays the full rich text formatting, with multiple lines, so you can include any sort of formatting (I've been doing a bunch of "behind the scenes" formatting work - basically making the iPhone equivalent to NSAttributedString - which works well with this). This includes changing fonts, emphasis, italic, colors, etc... (the current version only supports a single color for the entire item, you'll be able to have each letter be a different color if that's what floats your boat). Just need to add support for varying item height...

bloodfang
Honored

Post by bloodfang » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:57 pm

Great any chance one of your favorite roll enhancements will be the ability to add headings like the sample above and the ones on the character sheets you posted. Those thinner grey bars between the sections?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:49 am

Dividing the rolls into sections can easily be done with a character sheet (and, in fact, the favorite rolls is just another section in the character sheet) but at this time adding dividers within favorite rolls is problematic at best (since that means that instead of a the character sheet providing the section information, at least one of those sections would end up being multiple sections).

It's a good idea, but may not make this release.