iPad Dicenomicon

Simulated dice for role playing games
gandreas
Immortal

iPad Dicenomicon

Post by gandreas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:03 pm

All I can say is that I really want an iPad...

bloodfang
Honored

Re: iPad Dicenomicon

Post by bloodfang » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:36 pm

Dicenomicon will be so nice on the I pad. A set up like the email app perhaps, with the favorites roll on the left and die rolls on the right. I'm ordering one, as soon as I convince the wife :)

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:05 pm

That's a lot like what I was thinking - favorites/character sheet on the left, rolling area on the right (or the other way). There are certainly going to be issues with required support for rotation. I'm reading through the iPad Human Interface Guidelines as well as the iPad Programming Guide, and there's a whole lot of stuff to consider. Still got another 3 hours before the SDK is downloaded though...

My problem is "get the one I want" (with 3G) but wait an extra 30 days for it to show up, or get the non-3G so I can start testing sooner.

Smaggler
IQ Test: Orange

Post by Smaggler » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:54 pm

Wait for the 3G let the super early adopters work out the inevitable bugs and problems prior to your getting one so you have to wait less time for an update that fixes all the things that will be invariably broken.

That being said, as a GM this device is pure sex. And Dicenomicon with two panels is absolutely everything I could ask for.

-Smaggs

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:17 pm

Then I better not say anything about secret features I've been "investigating"!

bloodfang
Honored

Post by bloodfang » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:41 am

To many devices wanting 3G connections and paying for each one can get expensive. I'm getting a MiFi 2372, and sharing it's 3G connection with a iPod, iPad and Macbook. Pay one cell bill for all my devices. Bell launched their MiFi 2372 in Canada last month.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/28/nova ... an-loving/

Smaggler

Post by Smaggler » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:54 pm

Also EA had an excellent article that Dicenomicon might take away from.

The fact that the iPad could've been a 'gameboard' with the iPod / iPhone being the individuals interface. In the Dicenomicon world, this means the iPad could be the Game master's tool with other iPad/iPhone interfaces being the players interface thus creating a virtual RPG session. I know we've talked about interfacing with other devices in other threads, but I think this opens up a whole new ball game. Being able to see the players rolls, directly on our screens, or getting results, hell even a chat interface of somesort beyond just the Character sheets and rolling would create an insanely powerful tool for gaming aids.

-Smaggs

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:21 pm

Or something like maptools...

Jarl

Post by Jarl » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:34 am

[whip sound] Less dreaming of iPad, more working char sheet version of Dicenomicon [whip sound] ;)

Seriously, a Dicenomicon for the iPad would be awesome. I'm not too sure the 'pad is worth getting though, it feels a bit limited.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:47 am

Very early first sneak peek (yes, I'm aware of the aspect ratio problem on the dice, open in a new window/tab to see the full image):

Image.

The current plan is to make a universal version (so a free upgrade to existing customers) version 2.5. It'll work sort of like mail - while in portrait mode, you see the full game table, pretty much as shown above (things may be scaled up slightly larger to make it easier to interactive with). In landscape mode, your favorite rolls/character sheets will appear on the left - in portrait mode those will appear in a pop-over when you tap on the "F" button in the top left. Preferences will similarly appear in a popover when you tap the "i" button in the top right.

Other major plans for version 2.5 will include being able to rotate the dice formula editor (though this will be iPad only) as well as support external keyboard support for the dice formula editor.

Version 2.5 will require either an iPad or iPhone/iPod Touch running 3.0 or higher - support for 2.x firmware will be dropped (this is a hard and fixed requirement by Apple when making a universal (support iPad) application - trying to submit one that says that it supports 2.x is automatically rejected).

Note that this is not (yet) 3.0, which will include "active backgrounds" (such as support for MapTools or other in game chat). I am also planning a separate, iPad only "Dicenomicon GM" designed specifically for use by GMs, which will include all sorts of extra tools for the GM.

Smaggler

Post by Smaggler » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:10 pm

Excellent design model I love the sound of it. And I think its awesome of you to design something as a free upgrade for existing customers.

Thanks for being forthcoming on your design decisions its refreshing to be talked to rather than talked at by a dev.

Regarding Dicenomicon GM I'm curious what those 'extra tools' would be, but I'm looking forward to the possibilities. Being able to generate random names/places and their stats for a particular gaming system, and then keeping track of them would be a phenomenal tool at least for myself as a GM. Being able to setup "encounter 1" "encounter 2" ahead of time and keep track of those 'battles' would be awesome too.

At any rate, you've produced nothing but quality so I'm anxious and excited to see it all!

Sushi

Post by Sushi » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Awesome. As an avid MapTools user, I can't wait to see the integration. Since you are planning to make the app universal, I'll go purchase the current version now. That said, if you need beta testers for the upcoming iPad functionality, I would be happy to share my credentials and UID. :wink:

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:48 pm

Dicenomicon on the iPad running in landscape mode (open in a separate window to see the full thing, since it'll get clipped off otherwise):

Still got a lot of work to do, but that's what the basic idea will look like - your character sheet/favorite rolls on the left, the dice on the right, with both always active and ready to use.

BiggerBoat

Post by BiggerBoat » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:04 pm

The iPad version is looking great.

I purchased the iPhone version today for my iPad, in order to learn things a bit and futz around with the scripting. I'm amazed by how powerful this thing is. With enough work, it seems like you could literally run an entire game out of here.

Will stuff I create in the current version (i.e. macros, character sheets) translate over to the new version? I'm assuming not, but I thought it was worth asking.

Any sort of timeline for the iPad version?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Sun May 02, 2010 11:16 am

The iPad version should automatically and seamlessly work with any exiting iPhone version data when the upgrade comes out.

Currently, I've got it largely working - I worked out the "compare two arbitrary set of rolls" formula on the iPad version (and then copied and pasted it here). There are still a bunch of cosmetic issues, especially with regards to the formula editor and rotation support, but it is mostly functional - I've yet to test everything, but all the basic stuff works. The bigger problem is that I've pretty much completely broken then iPhone version - I split things up into smaller pieces for the iPad version, and have yet to redo the iPhone version to work with those smaller pieces, but hopefully it won't be a major problem. Assuming no major problems or external issues, there's about a 25% chance it'll be done by the end of the week, and 60% chance of being done the following week. I'll post something (or tweet - follow @gandreas) when it is submitted.