Simulated dice for role playing games

MapTool based chat?

I use MapTool, so this would be perfect
47%
I've seen it before, but don't currently use it, but this seems interesting
11%
I've never heard if it before, but this seems interesting
42%
Having a server running on a laptop is just not practical, but I like the chat idea
No votes
Chat? That's one of the stupidest things ever
No votes

Total votes: 19

gandreas
Immortal

MapTools

Post by gandreas » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:13 am

Not sure how many of you have used (or at least seen) MapTools, an open source, java based "virtual gaming table" (including support for chat between players and gm, as well as various status messages such as its initiative tracking).

For a while now, there has been the desire to support some sort of networked Dicenomicon features - if nothing more than the ability to let other people "see" the results of your rolls. Well, assuming one is running a MapTool server, I've finally got code working that will talk to it to be able to leverage off its chat capabilities (certainly the ability to see the virtual game board would be an amazing next step - especially for some larger format device!)

So the question is, how many people would be interested in such capabilities?

gandreas
Immortal

Re: MapTools

Post by gandreas » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:07 pm

A little sneak peak (you might want to open these images in their own window/tab to see them fully) - here's MapTools running on the mac:

and here's a screenshot from the device connecting to it:

and from something a bit larger:

Note - this is not some sort of Photoshop mock up - this is running "live" (there's still a whole lot of limitation, obviously, buy if you drag a token around on the server, it correctly moves & updates on the viewers).

And in case you're wondering why work isn't being solely focused on character sheets, mapTools provides for a similar (but much simpler) concept, and I want to make sure that the two would work together, if it was at all even feasible to run a mapTools viewer in the background of The Dicenomicon.

porter235
IQ Test: Orange

Post by porter235 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:40 pm

WOW!! That would be amazing! I would LOVE this type of thing, especially on an iPad.

Thanlis

Post by Thanlis » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:18 pm

That's remarkably exciting. I use MapTool and Dicenomicon right now; the maps on the iPad would be... spectacular.

Thanlis

Post by Thanlis » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:57 pm

The MapTool devs noticed this thread and are interested in cooperating if there's anything they can do:
He can use admin-at-rptools-dot-net but that goes directly to Trevor and we know how busy he is! He can also email me directly at sales-at-eec-dot-com and I'd be happy to coordinate.
(Trevor's the lead dev but he's been pretty busy lately.)

miklocho

Post by miklocho » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:38 am

I also an very interested in this. I could see setting an ipad down on the table and using it as a virtual battle map for my players when traveling. I currently use a projector with maptools running at home. Using an ipad would be fantastic for this sort of play style. Also I see a point in the future where the cost of a tablet device drops to the point were you might use 2 or more ipads at the table. One for your character sheet and one for the map for example.

Thank you for all of your hard work on this!

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:19 am

Thanlis wrote:The MapTool devs noticed this thread and are interested in cooperating if there's anything they can do:
He can use admin-at-rptools-dot-net but that goes directly to Trevor and we know how busy he is! He can also email me directly at sales-at-eec-dot-com and I'd be happy to coordinate.
(Trevor's the lead dev but he's been pretty busy lately.)
Thanks for the offer - right now there aren't any major technical issues - the hard initial ones were handling server messaging protocols, compression and the like, which have all been resolved. Most of the complicated issues have been with rewriting in Objective C with its different idioms, collection classes, drawing models, language internals, etc... The "fun" difficult problems were all about how to fit the UI onto a device that fits in your palm.

All in all, however, it's made quite good progress (actually too good of progress - I initially was just scoping out what changes would need to be made to The Dicenomicon to support it wtr character sheets, and not trying to make something that actually worked yet!)

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:32 am

miklocho wrote:I also an very interested in this. I could see setting an ipad down on the table and using it as a virtual battle map for my players when traveling. I currently use a projector with maptools running at home. Using an ipad would be fantastic for this sort of play style. Also I see a point in the future where the cost of a tablet device drops to the point were you might use 2 or more ipads at the table. One for your character sheet and one for the map for example.

Thank you for all of your hard work on this!
So right now, the first priority is getting The Dicenomicon with character sheet support done and shipping, and there are several iPad related updates that I'll be working on. The MapTools "ideal world" game plan breaks down into three different branches:
- "Client only" (which is coming along nicely) This would include a stand alone iPhone/iPod client, integration with The Dicenomicon (complete with the dice rolling), and possibly an iPad version.
- "Full blown editor" (iPad only)
- "Server" (iPad only)

Obviously, there's a lot more work to add full editing support - and that just plain isn't going to be practical in 320x480 (with a finger that takes ~40 pixels).

Similarly, making a version that can act as a server is going have some severe technical problems, since there is no indication that the iPad can act as a WiFi base station (I'm assuming it will be the same chipsets as the iPhone and iPod Touch which don't support that). As a result, to do the "GM has an iPad, players all have iPods/iPhones", the networking would all need to be done via GameKit.

One possible solution to these two issues would be for the "client only" version to support loading scenario files using the new file sharing APIs, so you'd create the various encounter maps at home, upload them to the iPad and then take that and use it as the center of the gaming table.

HolyBane

Post by HolyBane » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:42 pm

Is this integration with MapTools going to be just on the iPad/iPhone/iTouch or would it work on a PC as well?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:59 am

The MapTools "client viewer" technology should connect to any server running a fairly recent version of MapTools (I've only been testing against the latest version, since it is so much nicer than earlier version).

The iPad based server would also work with any client, assuming that it can reach it over the network - the iPad (and iPhone/iPod) don't currently support acting as a base station for WiFi (or any sort of AdHoc WiFi), so some other device would need to be the WiFi access point. I'm hoping to add GameKit support so that you can use iPad + iPod/iPhone without an external WiFi access point, but that doesn't even support OS X.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:18 pm

So now that my iPad is in my grubby little hands, expect to see some interesting updates. And there's even a product name for it - MaPnakotic...

Smaggler

Post by Smaggler » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:41 pm

Enjoy it!

I won't have my hands on one for a week or so.

Can't wait to see the pending apps.

Oh quick question, when do we get the editor that allows us to add character sheets, or am I missing something in the current version...

Thanks,

-Smaggs

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:11 am

Character sheets can be created as an xml file and uploaded in the the current (2.3.1) version.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:27 am

Not just screen shot from the simulator anymore, not an "artists rendering"...

http://www.gandreas.com/iphone/mapnakotic/

Micco

Post by Micco » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:34 am

I'm a long-time MapTools user and I am so in on this one! I'm buying Dicenomicon now, but thought I'd share how stoked I am about the iPad MapTools client. That looks awesome and I'll definitely be using it for my sessions once it is released (at least the client sessions...I'll still use a laptop when I'm DM'ing.)