Dice Type Based on Skill

Simulated dice for role playing games
jazzman
Honored
IQ Test: Orange

Re: Dice Type Based on Skill

Post by jazzman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:16 pm

Two things,

did you copy the entire code or just add the first line. There were minor changes in the other lines so that could be part of it.

Are your skills all white dots?
If so, go into the character sheet, click the skills menu, select the skill(like shooting), then tap the dots until you have them at the appropriate level.

I don't have a place to upload to or I would.

jazzman
Honored

Post by jazzman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:26 am

One more tweak to share with the formula code. If you have a skill that's at level 0, I've got it to roll the unskilled check.

Code: Select all

<formula>
	@SKILL ← @SKILLS[#1].
	@1 ← (4,6,8,10,12)[ @SKILL["Level"] ].
    @2 ← (6,6,6,6,6)[ @SKILL["Level"] ].
	@ROLL ← IF @SKILL["Level"] = 0 THEN "1Gd+4 - 2 \/ 1d+6 - 2" ELSE "1Gd+" - @1 - " \/ 1d+" - @2 END.
    :next:("", @ROLL).
    ":next:"
</formula>
I've fixed up the display of the Derived Stats, I can share snippets if necessary.

Cgeist7

Post by Cgeist7 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:16 pm

Okay, I don't have this working yet, but I think I've figured out why. I downloaded an XML editor to modify the formula, but it doesn't recognize the <- unicode symbol - so when I use that, it changes the formula to a ? which buggers it up.

My latest attempt was to use a text editor to correct the formula, which worked, but then I can only save the file as a microsoft office XML document or a text document - neither of which seem to work when uploaded into Dicenomicon.

Can anyone point me to an XML editor that will work or instruct me in how to edit the character sheet without buggering it up?

EDIT: Woohoo! I got it. Thanks guys!

Thanks!

CG7

Taharka

Post by Taharka » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:07 pm

jazzman wrote:One more tweak to share with the formula code. If you have a skill that's at level 0, I've got it to roll the unskilled check.

Code: Select all

<formula>
	@SKILL ← @SKILLS[#1].
	@1 ← (4,6,8,10,12)[ @SKILL["Level"] ].
    @2 ← (6,6,6,6,6)[ @SKILL["Level"] ].
	@ROLL ← IF @SKILL["Level"] = 0 THEN "1Gd+4 - 2 \/ 1d+6 - 2" ELSE "1Gd+" - @1 - " \/ 1d+" - @2 END.
    :next:("", @ROLL).
    ":next:"
</formula>
I've fixed up the display of the Derived Stats, I can share snippets if necessary.
Wow! Thanks, Jazzman, that's great! I'll have to upload the new version to my device.
Cgeist7 wrote:Okay, I don't have this working yet, but I think I've figured out why. I downloaded an XML editor to modify the formula, but it doesn't recognize the <- unicode symbol - so when I use that, it changes the formula to a ? which buggers it up.

My latest attempt was to use a text editor to correct the formula, which worked, but then I can only save the file as a microsoft office XML document or a text document - neither of which seem to work when uploaded into Dicenomicon.

Can anyone point me to an XML editor that will work or instruct me in how to edit the character sheet without buggering it up?

EDIT: Woohoo! I got it. Thanks guys!

Thanks!

CG7
Glad you got it! For the future, I recommend a program called Notepad++. It's free. http://sourceforge.net/projects/notepad-plus/

jazzman
Honored

Post by jazzman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:06 pm

Taharka, I've added a number of features to your sheet. It can be downloaded here.

Edited July17th, 2010, created separate topic, newest version will be found there.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=713&start=0

Features:

* Injury Levels - when set, the fatigue and wound penalties are factored into all trait rolls, including the skills section and the Special Rolls.
* Shotgun damage - can handle the variable damage. In the weapon list, enter the damage as d+6 and turn on the "use shotgun damage", when the weapon is selected on the character sheet, it will calculate the damage based upon what is set currently set as the range to the target.
* Range to target - when set from the character sheet, the values for both the penalty to the attack rolls and the variable shotgun damage will be set. Any special rolls and the skill rolls for throwing and shooting will account for the range penalty.
* Remaining ammo - as you take shots, you can manually tally the rounds of ammo used. If you change weapons, the remaining rounds are saved. So you shoot twice with a Peacemaker and adjust the number down to 4, then switch to a double barrel shotgun, the information for the max and current ammo will change to that of the Shotgun. When you change back to the peacemaker, it will show that you only have 4 shots remaining. There is a reload button to reset the number back to max. This does not do the math for multi-action(reload and shoot), so you will have to mentally adjust the attack rolls accordingly.
* Guts Skill roll will modify the roll to add your current grit value.(you must set your rank level in the grit tab, it doesn't auto calculate the base number)
* Heal skill, like all other skills, already account for your personal wound levels. You will mentally have to account for the target's wound level though. So if you are trying to heal someone who is wounded at -2 and you are at -3 wounds, you will only need to adjust the value rolled by the -2 for the target wound level.
* Parry and Toughness will auto-calculate the base number for you. There is a variable list for each to allow for any misc. mods that may affect it.
* Skills list shows the linked Attribute for the skill
* Weapons list has a lot of new fields, Attack bonus(place to records +2 shooting for the shotgun), flag for using the shotgun damage feature(1-3d6), and the rounds remaining in the gun. Damage for any weapon must be entered using the "Open" roll formatting, so damage for a Colt Peacemaker would be 2d+6 + 1

With the new fields for the weapons list and the Skills list, you may want to clear the current values to allow for the examples to load. To do so, change the Game to NONE, then go into the Globals, touch edit, and delete the "weaponlist" and the "skills" variables. Then change the game back to Deadlands. This will wipe out any weapons and skills that you have previously entered, but then you would have a couple weapon examples to see how it should be.

Additionally there is no error checking, so you could have a shotgun selected as the current weapon and then choose to do a wild attack, or have a knife selected when you "Fan the Hammer". It's left up to the user to know the rules of their weapons and what "special rolls" can be used.

Also, for any of the "special rolls" that give parameters to choose from, like a called shot has both the Target location and the type of attack, double check the selected value that's on the left and not the dial. There is a glitch where the current value shown on the dial may not be the selected value. The value on the left is what is used in the rolls, so if it's not correct, change the dial to a different option and back until it shows the current value you expect.

Don't think there's anything else that I want to add to this one. I'm considering looking at creating a secondary character sheet to handle two weapon fighting, so it will have a primary and off-hand weapon list, shot counters for both weapons, etc.
Last edited by jazzman on Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jazzman
Honored

Post by jazzman » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:01 am

Just updated the link above, I fixed a couple of display issues. Additionally I added two additional features.
ParryMod, so if the weapon provides a bonus or penalty, your parry on the character sheet will be adjusted when you equip the weapon.
Legendary Trait Rolls - Can now handle the d12+1, d12+2 and d12+3 traits that can be obtained with legendary edges or with magic boosts. Parry and Toughness also account for the +x number properly.

Two weapon sheet may be done, I just need to test it further.

Dan

Cgeist7

Post by Cgeist7 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:29 am

Hey Jazzman -

I just wanted to say that I downloaded and used your sheet and it is amazing! It is fantastic to have all of the character info fully integrated into Dicenomicon. I have one request, though - could you include an area to enter the character's name? I know who the character is, but it just seems strange to me to have a character sheet that starts with stats. :)

Thanks and keep up the great work!

CG7

jazzman
Honored

Post by jazzman » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:09 am

Cgeist7 wrote:Hey Jazzman -

I just wanted to say that I downloaded and used your sheet and it is amazing! It is fantastic to have all of the character info fully integrated into Dicenomicon. I have one request, though - could you include an area to enter the character's name? I know who the character is, but it just seems strange to me to have a character sheet that starts with stats. :)

Thanks and keep up the great work!

CG7
That's been one thing in the back of my mind. I was using the gameroom name for my character name, but a field shouldn't be hard at all.

And on a side note, I believe I've misinterpreted how the stats above d12 work. So once I get some confirmation, expect a new version.

jazzman
Honored

Post by jazzman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:43 am

Edited July17th, 2010, created separate topic, newest version will be found there.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=713&start=0
Good news, just posted a significant update, in addition to all previous features

- Character name
- Corrected the d12+x rolls to add the x to both the skill die and the wild die, per confirmation from SW developers
- Added Sweep and Frenzy
- Skills and Attributes can be given the master edge(d10 wild die).
- New file, 2Weapon character sheet. All of the special rolls, as appropriate, will now prompt for which weapon to use, primary or offhand, and if the attack is part of a multi-weapon attack. So this will actually work for those who have Ambidextrous, Two Fisted, both, or neither. Just need to adjust the mod in the Attack mod section respective to the edges you have. If you are normally a single weapon user but then in a bind you decide to go dual wielding, you can switch back and forth between the two sheets as your tactics change.
If you do decide to switch back and forth, recommended to change the offhand weapon to something else to store the current shots remaining.

Taharka

Post by Taharka » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:57 pm

Wow Jazzman, way to take my crappy character sheet and turn it into a refined piece of work!I'm very impressed.
You should try your hand at the 3.5 sheet. Doesn't work right for me :-)