I'm confused about inherit...

Simulated dice for role playing games
Wolfrngr
IQ Test: Orange

I'm confused about inherit...

Post by Wolfrngr » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:56 pm

I'd like to make multiple characters in my mini 6 room, but inherit doesn't seem to be working as I think it should work (it could simply be a 64 issue) but I'm not sure. Could someone list in easy to follow steps how to make a character A and a Character B inherit from the same game room? I'm not even sure I'm trying to use it right. :?

Wolfrngr

Re: I'm confused about inherit...

Post by Wolfrngr » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:23 am

Seems that this is a really hard question, LOL

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:36 pm

Make the game room (mini 6).

Make another game room (Character A)
Select it. Create a global variable named "INHERIT" whose value is "mini 6".

Repeat as needed for other characters

scruffy

Post by scruffy » Sun May 30, 2010 5:56 pm

I am also having difficulty with this INHERIT feature. I would like to make characters inheriting a 40K or Warhammer room.
(Ultimately, I would like to use character sheets, but that's for another time, another thread. I need to review the according documentation again. It sounds like this is a strong focus in current development anyway.)

Your instructions regarding INHERIT seem as straightforward as they could possibly be. If I am understanding correctly, I only need to do the following simple steps:
Build the parent Game Room (i.e. mini 6), with the appropriate globals and rolls.
Create any number of child Game Rooms (i.e. Character A and Character B)
In each child Game Room create the global variable INHERIT
Assign the exact name of the parent Game Room to variable INHERIT (i.e. mini 6)

I have a '40K' room with globals for stats such as 'WILLPOWER' and 'INTELLIGENCE', and favorite rolls such as 'Willpower Check' and 'Intelligence Check'. As I understand, I should be able to create any number of characters, as additional Game Rooms, able to inherit and use all of these same stats and rolls.

I have tried this with my 40K room as well as a simpler 'parent' and 'child' room with a single global variable and simple rolls. I have been careful to let the global variable screen refresh and fully capitalize the variable names before entering a value. I also tried exiting the app and running it again in case the inheritance is not instant. It still isn't working for me. The variables and rolls do not show up in the 'child' room at all.

Are we missing something? If so, what is it please? Does the the 'parent' Game Room need a variable allowing inheritance or anything like that? Perhaps this is just a bug for now.

If it matters, I am using an Ipod Touch, and I just downloaded the app again in the last couple of days, so I should be running the latest retail release.

Thanks in advance. -scruffy

jazzman
Honored

Post by jazzman » Mon May 31, 2010 9:48 am

Having the same problems.
Have a room called SavageWorlds.
Created a new room named SWDL-Henry.
Selected the SWDL game room.
Selected Globals, added global variable "INHERT" with value "SavageWorlds"
I even copied and pasted the name from the game room list just to be sure I got the spelling.

When in the SWDL room, I am not getting any of the settings from my SavageWorlds room, such as the Die Bar, favorite rolls, etc. It's all of the settings from the Default Room

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:29 am

I'm investigating - at least some of the problem has to do with a bug involving changes to the current character sheet not show up correctly, but I've yet to figure out exactly what is going on (since sometimes parts work fine, and after doing other stuff they stop working). Very confusing...