2.5 bug reports

Simulated dice for role playing games
JeFurry

Re: 2.5 bug reports

Post by JeFurry » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:38 am

jazzman wrote:I've seen the same, though I think I found a reliable way to restart things. I would just select the "f" button in top right. Selecting any roll(favorite or on the character sheet) or hitting the x to cancel will unfreeze the app.
I concur with that workaround — it works, thank you. That'll save me a LOT of relaunches and a bit of ridicule from those who don't like dice-rolling apps.

It's still a bug needing a fix in the next update, of course.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:13 am

It's actually a worse bug in 2.6 running on an iOS 4.0 device that supports multi-tasking, since it pops up when use the multi-tasking to switch to/from another app.

What's going on is that to save battery and system drain, the dice go into super slow motion (instead of 30 frames a second, its up to 1000 seconds per frame). It does this when it is interrupted (say, a call comes in - you don't want dice rolling just because you're trying to answer the phone) or if the screen dims or (under 4.0) you swap to another app.

Unfortunately, it didn't always toggle it back to regular speed afterwards. But yeah, it is bad and is fixed for 2.6.

JeFurry

Post by JeFurry » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:27 pm

Even better.

Thanks for the quick response.

I must say, you've given Dicenomicon an amazing amount of support and development since its original release. I really hope it is continuing to bring in a worthwhile amount of money for you, because it's by far the best app of its kind, and the fact that you're still improving it is just stellar. I do recommend it to any iPhone/iPad owners I play RPGs with, but I only know of a couple of copies that have sold because of me (so far)...

Thank you.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:21 pm

Thanks for the kind words - the only real drawback of The Dicenomicon is that I end up spending too much time working on it (to the detriment of my other apps).

Wait until you see the 3.5e character sheet stuff I've been working on. It has taken a lot of careful planning and design (usually throwing out the first couple of ideas for solution), but it's going to look nice for all you 3.5e (and Pathfinder, and hopefully other d20 based games). And then convert that extra support over to 4e, and then add Exalted support, update the WoD with some of that new goodness, etc...

Of course, at some point I need to get the release out in there!

CharlesJenkins
IQ Test: Orange

Post by CharlesJenkins » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:03 am

Here are some bug reports:

GLOBAL ENTRY

I second the person who suggested putting the keyboard into all-caps mode for entering the names of functions and globals.

On my iPhone, it is extremely painful to enter Globals. The keyboard comes up in lowercase mode and the shift key is disabled. So I have to type the name, leave the globals screen, and come back. Then there are two variables: One with the lowercase name and one with uppercase. I put the value I want in the uppercase one and delete the lowercase one. Then I have to do the same steps over again for the next global.

iTUNES BACKUP DOES NOT CONTAIN DATA

Maybe there is something I don't know and this shouldn't be a problem, but... I'm looking for ways to transfer the data. It seems that backing up with iTunes does nothing to save my info, so I have to go the the entire procedure over again in order to have the same info on my iPhone and iPad.

iPAD LANDSCAPE PROBLEM

I find that I cannot roll dice with the iPad in landscape orientation. No big deal; when I start Dicenomicon, I just lock the screen in portrait mode and Dicenomicon seems to work fine.

USER-INTERFACE ISSUE WHEN ENTERING VARIABLE NAMES IN FORMULAS

On the iPhone, when creating a formula containing a variable, you have to double-tap on @X in order to change to a real variable name. But while you are entering the name, there are two "Done" buttons on the screen. The nearby one, the one you are most tempted to tap, accepts the whole formula, but not the name change. So you lose your edit and have to go back in to change the variable name again. Suggest disabling the Formula's Done button while a Variable name's Done button is active.

MINOR USER-INTERFACE ISSUE WHEN ENTERING FAVORITE ROLLS

When the Edit mode is active for entering Favorite Rolls, could the <Settings button be changed to a + button? The reason I ask is because the current way to add a new roll is with the + Add Roll menu item, which is at the bottom of the list and therefore almost guaranteed to always be off-screen when you need it.

CharlesJenkins
IQ Test: Orange

Post by CharlesJenkins » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:07 am

CharlesJenkins wrote:I second the person who suggested putting the keyboard into all-caps mode for entering the names of functions and globals.
Let me amend this statement. What would really be nice is if Dicenomicon automatically uppercased all entered variable and function names after entry, so that it doesn't matter whether the keyboard is in all-caps mode or not.

This would have to apply when changing a variable name in the formula editor, as well.