2.5 New Feature Requests

Simulated dice for role playing games
kelvSYC
Honored
IQ Test: Orange

Re: 2.5 New Feature Requests

Post by kelvSYC » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:27 pm

With the iPad version, one thing that would be great is if you could upload .dicenc/.dicent files and other files without using the Dicenomicon Server, but rather through the iPad's APIs for file transfer (akin to iWork for iPad). If what I know about iOS 4 is right, that could make it to other iOS platforms as well.

Then of course you wouldn't have to embed the die images in the .dicenc/.dicent files, which saves you from having to create a new file whenever you decide to touch up on one of the die images, for example.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:48 pm

Currently, custom dice are stored in subfolders within a folder within the "Documents" folder. The iPad file sharing exposes the Documents folder - any folder within it, well, that's a crap shoot (my understanding is that they are hidden on OS X iTunes, but shown in Win iTunes, but there's no way to put things _into_ those folders).

It would be doable to, at app launch time, check to see if a new file were dropped into that root level, and then move it to where appropriate. However, there would still be no way to get those files back out (since there's no way to access the contents of the subfolders).

The files themselves, however, have to embed the image (since we want to be able to download/upload a single file). It would be nice to be able to make numeric and textual dice "off line" (the files are just standard xml property lists, with images embedded as base64 encoded data) or have some easier way to upload retouched images. Currently, I take advantage of "fetch from url" button in the die side row, running the OS X "personal web sharing" server (and drop the images with specific names into the ~/Sites folder), usually with names like "side1.png", "side2.png", etc... and then just tweak the url path.

In theory, one could make an AJAX style web app that could handle this (especially if you've got a web browser that has JavaScript support for drag & drop), which could directly talk to the embedded web server (one can actually integrate a whole lot with the embedded web server via XMLHttpRequests).

kelvSYC
Honored

Post by kelvSYC » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:10 pm

Ah. I was thinking something like a "die face cache" or a custom die file being a bundle that included die face files for easy editing and/or updating. (Yes, I have edited a .dicenc and .dicent file by hand).

And I was thinking of something like how EveryGame (http://www.proofblocks.com/iPhone/EveryGame/ downloads and uploads custom game files when I say "uploading without the server".

JohnnyCanuck

Post by JohnnyCanuck » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:47 am

I'd like to see New World of Darkness roll functionality enabled! See this post: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=340&start=30#p2304

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:25 pm

gandreas wrote:Regardless, 3.5/Pathfinder char sheets are something that is scheduled for either 3.0 (or 2.6 if I decided to split up some of the features - 3.0 will include the "active background" needed for MapTools support), _or_ a possible downloadable character sheet from the Dicetorium (like the way that Mini6 is currently handled).
Just as an update, the 3.5e character sheets are about half done - and it is super cool to be able to access the d20srd.org from within the app. I've got the skills, most of the saving throws/ability checks, and the like mostly working, still need to figure out how to best integrate combat attacks and spells.

Given how similar to 3.5e that Pathfinder is, I fully expect to have Pathfinder working in short order as well (especially since I've made some enhancement to character sheet inheritance to make some things easier for me).

And as just another teaser, the "post mortem formula inspector" is proving invaluable to working with these character sheets, since I can double check all the steps of the formulas and make sure that they are getting the correct values - if there was one feature I should have implemented a long time ago, it was this one!