Uploading prebuilt characters into dicenomicon

Simulated dice for role playing games
DrWho4
IQ Test: Orange

Uploading prebuilt characters into dicenomicon

Post by DrWho4 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:36 pm

It would be super awesome if you guys could build in the capability to use the iTunes "File Share" to upload and access pre-built characters to Dicenomicon. Doubly cool if you had a PC & Mac companion app that formatted it all properly. It wouldn't have to be a full generator but basically the same sort of thing you have in the app but for the computer. If not something that read the output from DDI or Hero Lab would be cool too...

Anything like that in the works?

gandreas
Immortal

Re: Uploading prebuilt characters into dicenomicon

Post by gandreas » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:52 am

I might be working on a solution to allow for access to a certain XML file format that a not-unheard of character generator works with, and I might want to come up with a general purpose solution to this sort of problem...

Not that I'm announcing any specific feature or anything like that, of course...

DrWho4

Post by DrWho4 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:35 pm

That'll be cool if if comes about.. But for those of us on Macs, and those who play other games systems would benefit more from a standalone platform neutral companion app. One that allows you to select a game system and displays a form fillable character sheet that can be saved as an xml file that can be side loaded via iTunes to dicenomicon. But I'll take what I can get. ;)

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:39 pm

With the web based server running, it's is fairly simple to set global variables (which is where all the character sheet information is stored) - a simple http GET request will do what you need. The idea then would be to make a locally running AJAX style app that talks to the server. The result is that one can fire up a local web page in your browser, point to the device, enter your information via some sort of form (or have JavaScript load a local file, parse it, and extract the values needed). Another possibility is to write something in a scripting language like Python - though any cross platform ui is going to be a bit ugly

So even though all the features that you may want aren't there today, I'm doing my best to architect a design that is extensible (and "open") to add them tomorrow (well, not literally tomorrow). It's all just a matter of time...

DrWho4

Post by DrWho4 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:50 pm

Sweet!!!!

Thanks!

Sushi

Post by Sushi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:04 am

Have you looked or talked with the folks who do iplay4e.com?

DrWho4

Post by DrWho4 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:14 am

I did, but it's only for d&d 4e... I'm looking for something a little more game neutral. It looks like the bulk of the features needed are there with dicenomicon. I'm just going to have to be a little patient and wait for smarter folk than I to create and share some dicenmicon character sheets for other Role playing systems I play.

Sushi

Post by Sushi » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:05 am

Sorry - I meant for that to be in reply to Gandreas. ;)