MaPnakotic 1.0 submitted!

Simulated dice for role playing games
gandreas
Immortal

Re: MaPnakotic 1.0 submitted!

Post by gandreas » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:18 pm

First the easy part - the virtual dice just change the dice evaluation to roll virtual dice instead of using a simple random number generator. There's some interesting side effects, but nothing that should break anything (it's handled the same way that the "prompt for variable" works, but can combine requests for rolls into a single one).

The "local files editor" allows you to copy campaign files to the device (using iTunes) and they will appear in the list (besides the basic battle mats). You can also copy image files (for your own tokens) or token files - those will appear in the "+" list. Finally you can make "quick campaigns" - basically simple encounters where you can paint in walls, edit line of sight, add tokens, etc... (all stored locally). And by "local" that's what it means - local. This would be suited to having a single iPad in the center of the gaming table that everybody could see.

There will be support for server mode (where you could connect via other devices using GameKit) as another option at some point.

Now as to bug - Fog of War is a bit problematic, but should be working reasonably well in the next version. It does sound like something does get screwed up with either the line of sight or the fog of war (two things that are similar and related, yet different). For testing purposes, turn off FoW and LoS and hopefully everything will appear.

If you are using graphics that aren't part of the standard files (or whose art packs haven't been downloaded yet by the client - art packs need to be explicitly downloaded, since they can take up a fair amount of space), the client should ask the server to send it the image data. Initially, there was no ability to grab art packs or even cache the images to disk for later use, so every time you connected, it would start grabbing various bits and pieces, using filler ovals to indicate "somethings here".

If you can reproduce the problems with a campaign file run in a server and a just connected the device to it, please let me know and get me a copy of it so I can reproduce and track down what is going on...

P14gus
IQ Test: Orange

Post by P14gus » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:16 am

gandreas wrote:First the easy part - the virtual dice just change the dice evaluation to roll virtual dice instead of using a simple random number generator. There's some interesting side effects, but nothing that should break anything (it's handled the same way that the "prompt for variable" works, but can combine requests for rolls into a single one).

The "local files editor" allows you to copy campaign files to the device (using iTunes) and they will appear in the list (besides the basic battle mats). You can also copy image files (for your own tokens) or token files - those will appear in the "+" list. Finally you can make "quick campaigns" - basically simple encounters where you can paint in walls, edit line of sight, add tokens, etc... (all stored locally). And by "local" that's what it means - local. This would be suited to having a single iPad in the center of the gaming table that everybody could see.

There will be support for server mode (where you could connect via other devices using GameKit) as another option at some point.
Excellent, that makes everything crystal clear.
gandreas wrote: Now as to bug - Fog of War is a bit problematic, but should be working reasonably well in the next version. It does sound like something does get screwed up with either the line of sight or the fog of war (two things that are similar and related, yet different). For testing purposes, turn off FoW and LoS and hopefully everything will appear.
You are right, sorry i didn't test this before. Turning the vision options from "day/night" to "off" in Maptools does show everything as it should do. All the objects and tokens are visible without any bizarre irregularities. However looking at your preview image on the app's site, it shows you using dynamic lighting with a FOW successfully. Im just curious as to whether this can be replicated my end?
gandreas wrote: If you are using graphics that aren't part of the standard files (or whose art packs haven't been downloaded yet by the client - art packs need to be explicitly downloaded, since they can take up a fair amount of space), the client should ask the server to send it the image data. Initially, there was no ability to grab art packs or even cache the images to disk for later use, so every time you connected, it would start grabbing various bits and pieces, using filler ovals to indicate "somethings here".

If you can reproduce the problems with a campaign file run in a server and a just connected the device to it, please let me know and get me a copy of it so I can reproduce and track down what is going on...
Excellent. I dont think there is any value giving you my campaign file (unless you really want it) because the problem lies in the LOS and FOW and you have identified that it will be tweeked next patch.

What is interesting though is how you plan to manage "states". The states are not visible within the token on the iPad as Maptools displays them and the way that you have implemented it in Mapnakotic from what I can tell means using an iPad/iPhone, that states can be added but they appear as full cell sized tokens. Is it possible or not to recreate the states contained within the token as Maptools currently does? Would having the "local server" add on fix or alleievate the issue with states or have i got something wrong?

Also i find the app crashes when I do alot of sequential panning/zooming. For isntance, zooming right out and then zooming right back in will lead to the app to crash.

Do you have any idea when a new patch would be out?

Once again, I commend you on your excellent work. I look forward to getting this integrated at my gaming table. :D

humbaba2525

Post by humbaba2525 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:33 pm

I downloaded MaPnaktoic and paid for the local campaign and dice roller options. I'm looking to use it as a very basic VTT; I'm not intending to use it as a true map editor or with the extensive framework macros possible in the full version of MapTool. I'm impressed that so much of the functionality of MapTool has been represented, but for me all I really need is to be able to import some pre-made map images and let my players move their tokens around while visually representing states. Right now, I've got 3 major issues:

1. I don't see a free size option on images or an ability to adjust the grid. This is a bit of a killer for me because I can't sync the grid size with the images that have grids overlaid.

2. I'd like to use custom states with smaller icons for a 4E game. When I try to add custom states to a campaign file and then import it, MaPnakotic crashes on me.

3. I get crashes when I zoom out too much on a map. I imagine this might be related to memory limits as my iPad also does that when viewing large images in something like Safari.

Thanks for your work on the product, I hope maybe those issues can get addressed in the future.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:48 am

Obviously, there are a ton of various features/capabilities in MapTools - after all, with years of work from at least half a dozen active/semi-active programmers, you'd expect nothing less, so any rewrite from the ground up would not have full feature parity in a 1.0 release. As a result, every feature implemented was a trade-off (since the "important" feature set for one person is rarely going to be the same as the "important" feature set for another) - which is why giving feedback here is so important. If you don't ask for something, I'll probably add something else instead.

That being said, I do want to add free-size to objects, but that's going to be a fair amount of UI work to get it to work reasonably. Adjusting the grid, however, should be (mostly) trivial, especially for something as simple as just the size (going "gridless" or using a hex grid, however, probably won't work until I add a bunch of support for it).

If you can send me a campaign file with your custom states, I can track down the crash (since I'm not sure how campaign states should be any different if they are in the campaign file or accessed from a server).

The problems with zooming out too far are well known, and you're pretty close to the whole "memory limits" issue. Addressing it is definitely on the "must fix" list (as is some of the slowness when moving tokens around).

I've also been adding more and more of the macro functions for the next release (there's over 500 of them, and they keep adding more with every beta release, so it's a never ending race).

If there are any other critical issues, please let me know!

humbaba2525

Post by humbaba2525 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:40 pm

I really appreciate you supporting your produce -- as a programmer myself I know how complex a program like MapTool must be to make work on iPhones and iPads.

1. Grid adjusting usually works just as well for my needs as free sizing with setting the pixel size and offset - the only exception is that the map sometimes needs to be at a large size so the pixels can be finely adjusted (integer grid sizes only match up when the map is sized large enough).

2. I've put a sample campaign here that only has adjusted states:
http://www.4shared.com/account/file/Tez ... tates.html
All I have done is imported a set of states with images that have some reasonable 4e values that another user put together:
http://www.4shared.com/file/JlqtJwhO/Dn ... erties.htm

The only other feature request I have is projector support - I haven't tried it yet so maybe the product has it already, but I'm considering projecting the screen for my whole D&D group.

Thanks for your help!

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:03 pm

Downloading the campaign file - hopefully it'll crash for me.

As for the projector support - the current version doesn't support it, but it turns out that due to the way I structured the rendering code (it all lives in its own non UI object and just knows how to render in a CGContextRef), it was trivial to add support for an external screen. Need some minor support to get it to track/scale appropriately, but it does actually work...

humbaba2525

Post by humbaba2525 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:15 pm

I should also note that when bringing in a campaign file with several map (zones) with preset grids, the grids appear aligned. But when I add tokens to some of the maps (not all, and I'm not sure why), the don't snap to the center of the grid, but to the side and on most medium tokens I can only click the very top left corner of the token; clicking elsewhere is like clicking to move the map.

humbaba2525

Post by humbaba2525 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:50 am

Actually, just checked it out and it was happening on most maps, just to a greater or lesser degree. It turns out the the app isn't respecting the grid offset, so for now I can just align the background image to a 0/0 grid rather than the other way around.

Uranium Dragon
Honored

Post by Uranium Dragon » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:54 pm

Map Tools server? Okay, how do I do that?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:15 pm

Uranium Dragon wrote:Map Tools server? Okay, how do I do that?
Go to rptools.net > Download > MapTool (<http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=downloads#MapTool>).

Grap a fairly recent version (either the zip file if you are going to be hosting on Windows or Linux, or the .dmg file for OS X).

Extract/install/launch.

Start the server - and then enter the ip address & player password in the MaPnakotic's "enter account" dialog.

Uranium Dragon
Honored

Post by Uranium Dragon » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Okay, so tell me if I got this right.
MapTools is for designing and running a dungeon map.
MaPnakotic is not for designing the map, it is for viewing that map from an iPad versus a laptop.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:58 am

MapTools:
- Create .campaign files
- Edit .campaign files
- View .campaign files
- Server
- Client

MaPnakotic (with add-ons):
- Client
- View .campaign files
- Create files (not saved as .campaign files - stored locally)
- Simplified editing of files

P14gus

Post by P14gus » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:58 pm

Hi Gandreas,

Just a quick question wondering whether there will be any love in the short term for MapNakotic, particularly in relation to Vision, Fog of War and Graphics on the Object layer?

My recent experiements with Maptools/MapNakotic show that I can fix my previous problems with correct token ownership rights set but items of the Object layer do not seem to show. Also regular crashes seem to plague the app.

I know you are working feverishly on Dicenomicon but just interested in whether there will be a patch soon?

As i dont hear much from other users, maybe its just me who is having these problems.

Cheers

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:07 pm

No patch soon, but I am working on one (I'm also working the infrastructure to enable a MaPnakotic based viewer into the "active background" feature of 3.0, and evaluating what would happen if I tried to port it to the OS X version.

In general, for any problems you come across, sending me crash logs and sample files showing the problems you're seeing is the best way to help make sure they are fixed for the next release.

fhl

Post by fhl » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:32 am

Very nice app. I do however notice that it tends to go out of sync after a while, both on ipad and iphone (It keeps sync longer on a ipad though, dont know why). It seems to happen mostly after the screen powers down.

When it goes out of sync, the moves i do doesn't get made on the server/other clients.

I dont know if it's a issue with mapnakotic or maptools.