Decks of cards, with full images?

Simulated dice for role playing games
HawthornThistleberry
IQ Test: Orange

Decks of cards, with full images?

Post by HawthornThistleberry » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:14 pm

I'm just getting the hang of Dicenomicon and it's pretty incredible how many things it can do. But I'm wondering if I'm being too hopeful to think it could do Everway card draws from the Fortune Deck.

If you're not familiar with Everway, the only randomization method is drawing random cards from a tarot-like deck of 36 cards; the cards can be either upright or reversed. I'm sure I could make Dicenomicon do a table lookup to post the name and possibly the text (for instance, "Drowning in Armor (reversed) - True Prudence"). However, the imagery would be much better because you really need the image for inspiration. I have them all in my photo album on my iPhone and they look beautiful at that resolution, if they take up the whole screen. Here's an example of one of them:

So... any chance? I know it's not quite what Dicenomicon's normally good at, but it can't hurt to ask.

gandreas
Immortal

Re: Decks of cards, with full images?

Post by gandreas » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:17 am

Not the first request for adding some sort of cards to The Dicenomicon (since things like Deadlands use playing cards for initiative, and there are other games that players have special cards they can play for one-off actions), but I have been thinking about how this sort of thing might work.

First, the syntax might look something like:

Code: Select all

1pEverway
to show one Everway card.

3pPoker
would draw three (standard) poker cards and display them in a "fan"

1pTarot, 1pTarot
would draw two separate tarot cards, displayed next to each other.

(Using "c" for "card" instead of "p" for playing card would be nicer, but wouldn't work since the "c" would get confused with "3Cd6" - three cyan six siders, so I need to use a character that isn't a color "rgbcmykanow" or die type "tdz", so that just leaves "efhijlpqsuvwx" to choose from)

By default the cards would return a title string to the formula, but cards also would have rank, suit, and arbitrary values (though I'm not sure exactly how they would be accessed - perhaps using one of the other remaining letters instead of "p"). There's also issues of how to deal with when to reshuffle the deck (or if the tarot example above would draw from the same deck or different decks). There's also an issue of how to add cards to a players "inventory" (and display them in the character sheet)

Each deck would be defined with an xml file (what a surprise) and series of optional images. Each card in the deck would have a combination of images and "pips", making it easy to put together standard decks of cards, as well as more image based cards (or even CCG style cards). Not that I've given any thought about this sort of thing at any time in the past or anything (*cough* http://projects.gandreas.com/cardographer/ *cough*).

So there is a distinct chance this sort of feature may get implemented at some point...

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:59 pm

BTW, see the "augmented values" thread for details on how I'm thinking you'll be able to access a cards rank, suit, etc... (besides just the title).

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:23 pm

Just typed in this formula:

3pPoker
and got back

King of Diamonds, Three of Hearts, Queen of Clubs
and again:

Jack of Clubs, Ten of Spades, Four of Diamonds
Doesn't actually display the cards on screen yet, though...

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:46 pm

And now it does
I haven't figured out the best way to deal with card layout (should "5pPoker, 5pPoker" deal two "hands" of cards? Or scatter 10 cards all over the place?), nor have I added images for face cards yet, but it is a start...

HawthornThistleberry

Post by HawthornThistleberry » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:41 pm

Looking pretty cool! So you'll be able to do a single card that fills most of the screen too?

And since you're talking about having multiple cards on the screen, maybe I should mention that Everway also does a tarot-like lay of cards, and I wonder if you'll find it worth it to support something like that. The main one is six cards:
top row: one card, horizontal (doesn't matter if it's pointing left or right)
middle row: two cards, vertical (can be right-side-up or upside-down)
bottom row: three cards, vertical (can be right-side-up or upside-down)

I can't imagine you'd want to implement all these kinds of patterns -- and the images would be so small on an iPhone anyway (probably look fantastic on an iPad though!). But you don't use those that often anyway; the main use is just one card, pointing up or down, and if you could do that, that'd be amazing.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:07 pm

There's a practical limit to the size for the cards (due to resource restrictions - at some point all those images potentially use up all the graphics texture memory) - I've been using 250x350 by default (which would largely fill an iPhone screen of 320x480). Still not quite sure how to deal with "where to put the cards" though - right now they just animate up from some point offscreen at the bottom and slide into random places (it looks really cool - I keep hit re-roll just to watch it. For testing purposes, of course).

Hm, maybe the moral equivalent of a die's roll macro would be a cards layout (so something like):

5pPoker Fan, 10pPoker HStack3
would deal five cards into a "curved fan" in the middle of the screen, and HStack3 would be ten cards arranged in a spread out stack at the bottom of the screen (where 1 would be at the top, 2 would be in the middle, 3 is the bottom)... Then one could somehow define your "tarot style" layout to populate the cards.

HawthornThistleberry

Post by HawthornThistleberry » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:01 pm

The last update promised cards in the product update notes, but I'm not sure how to try it out. Are there release notes or updated documentation for these things I am overlooking?

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:39 am

From the Help > Advanced Formulas:

As of 3.1, support for dealing various cards has been added. Similar to rolling dice, cards will be dealt out to the table - either scattered, or into one of several piles.

5 p Poker

will deal out five (standard 52 card deck) poker cards. Cards can also have an optional pile:

5 p Poker fan
will deal the five cards into a nice fan. Piles have optional "location" - suffixes of "_nw", "_n", "_ne", "_w", "_e", "_sw", "_s", "_se" to indicate which corner/side of the screen it should be located in (or in the center if nothing is specified). Note that it is possible to create a special pile in a character sheet (via the <tableaux> entry) that is at a specific location, and so wouldn't have this automatic optional location suffixe.

Entering a card deal into a formula can be done by tapping alt + opt in the dice keyboard (which changes d? to p?)

Available Decks
  • Poker - Standard 52 card deck
    Poker_J - 52 card deck plus two jokers
    Poker_J4 - 52 card deck plus four jokers
    Tarot - 78 card tarot deck
    Tarot_R - Oriented 78 card tarot deck (so a reversed card is different from a non-reversed card)
Note that card dealing expressions will be extended in future releases, based on the needs of the community. One planned change is to be able to specify the color of a deck which, while not having an impact on the appearance, will be used to allow multiple independent decks to be used. There are also plans on adding the ability to test the rank and suit of the cards (without having to parse the title string), and eventually some way to save/restore cards as objects storable in a global/character sheet

HawthornThistleberry

Post by HawthornThistleberry » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:36 am

pPoker is causing Dicenomicon to crash out on my iPhone 4S. pTarot works okay, though.

Any plans for user-defined decks? I was hoping to be able to build a deck from my Everway card images. That said, my group isn't playing Everway anymore, or indeed anything, so I guess in a way it's moot now, at least for me. :(

jazzman
Honored

Post by jazzman » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:28 pm

Having same crashing issue as above on a 4s, only tarot and tarotr work.

Posted with gandreas software's Web Boarder

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:27 am

I am also finding that 3.1 crashed when attempting to run any card deck formula. Using iOs (fully updated to latest) running on ipad2.

Posted with gandreas software's Web Boarder

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:36 am

That'll be fixed in 3.1.1. What's weird is that it was working fine shortly before release (which is how I double checked the syntax of the "deal cards" examples in the documentation).