Bug with Rogue?

Discussion of Rogue and NetHack for iPhone
wjgreynolds

Bug with Rogue?

Post by wjgreynolds » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:29 pm

So I've been playing rogue and loving it, but I think I found a bug with the random level creator. Sometimes I get to a level with no exit. I will be in a room but all the hallways out of it lead to dead ends. This happens fairly often (probably once every five games) and because there is no restart option I have to wait until I die of starvation to start a new game. Is this a bug that can be fixed in an update or am I missing something?
Thanks.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:28 pm

You need to search for secret passages/doors (swipe from left to right across the top part of the playfield).

It's not too bad when you hit a dead end, since that usually means that there is a secret passage there, but it's a lot harder when you're in a room with no obvious exit (since you have to stand next to the wall, search several times, take a step, search, and repeat all the way around the room until you find the exit)

wjgreynolds

Post by wjgreynolds » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:28 pm

Ah, thanks. I figured I was missing something.

roguecat

zoom function disabled?

Post by roguecat » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:41 pm

Hi - thanks for porting rogue to the iphone; it was the first game I searched for when I got the iphone, and I'm glad to see it finally make an appearance!

In the descriptor for the game, it mentions that you can zoom in or out using the pinch function. However, every time I attempt to do so, the iphone interprets it as an attempt at a command. It treats the entire surface of the iphone as the 3x3 grid (or, at least, I assume so - there is no actual highlighted grid to reference per se) so there does not seem to be any area I can go to use the 'pinch/spread' technique. I've tried this in both portrait and landscape versions. I'm using an iphone 3G with 2.2. I'm going to attempt a reboot in hopes that it just needs to refresh; but am hoping it's not a real bug. :-)

I've also got a problem with saving the game. I know rogue isn't meant to have a save function per se; but as long as my character is not dead, I should be able to go back to the level/experience I was previously playing at. But if I have to take a call put away the iphone, when I start it up again, it's a brand new game every time. Again, I'm hoping it just needs a refresh, but I thought I'd post just in case.

Thanks for bringing such a great game to the iphone - much appreciated.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:09 pm

The pinch/zoom only works in graphics mode, not text mode. It does the same thing as changing the tile size in the options (so you can always change it manually there - just not as nice).

Rogue is suppose to save automatically whenever you quit - but I've not done extensive testing of "get a phone call while playing" so there may be a problem there...

roguecat

Post by roguecat » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:31 am

Ah, it all makes sense now. :-) Okay, I was able to zoom in while in portrait mode (the first time I tried, I must have already been at max, so it seemed like it wasn't working) and when I properly closed the game and then reopened it, it was at it's last location; so the save works properly. Thank you!

I do think that the zoom function for the landscape mode would be fantastic, however - I'm used to the original text version, and would love to be able to see it up close. Just my .02 :-)