Rogue bug -- throwing (and zapping) problems

Discussion of Rogue and NetHack for iPhone
Dayv

Rogue bug -- throwing (and zapping) problems

Post by Dayv » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:01 pm

I have run into a bug several times now in rogue where unexpected things happen with the throw and (less frequently) zap commands... I select the direction, then the item to be thrown, and then... unexpected things happen. The wrong item may be thrown, I may be tossed into the "what would you like to eat" sub-menu, I may take a step in the opposite direction (I've only seen this with zapping), or nothing at all may happen. Sometimes the wrong item is thrown before I even get to an inventory selection screen -- the item will not necessarily be a weapon.

I actually saw something similar (incorrect items being thrown) with a PalmOS port of rogue several years ago, so the problem may be somewhere in the process of hooking in your UI to the existing throw code.

Anyway, while these bugs are frustrating, I'm still really pleased to have rogue on my phone once again. Thank you!

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:17 pm

If you can figure out a good way to reproduce this (and I've spent a lot of time playing, er, um, "testing", this and not seen it), I'll see if I can get it fixed.

I'm guessing that there may be some command/something that causes the game command input queue (which expects nothing by keystrokes) to be out of synch with what the UI command generates...

Dayv

Post by Dayv » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 pm

I most frequently see this when I wield the bow and then "throw" arrows. I access both commands with the gesture interface, and select the items in the submenu normally. If it tosses me into an eat menu or something, I just cancel out and try again.

Notably, the arrows in starting inventory are item "e", and "eat" is the accidental command most frequently triggered. I'd bet that other behaviors seen have to do with the inventory letters assigned and their correlation with the shared command for that letter. When an incorrect item is thrown before I have a chance to select anything, that item may correspond with the direction chosen in the UI before the item picker comes up.

I'm not deliberately double-tapping, but I do wonder if some sort of accidental double entry could be going on here.

Also, is the double-tap for inventory intended to first register as a single (resting) tap? It seems to, for me.

I've just rebooted my iphone and will let you know later today if it seems more stable after that.

Is there any way to deliberately throw non-weapon items? I used to do this with undesirable items to nickel-and-dime creatures as they approached for combat...

As long as I'm getting sidetracked, it would be nice to have a way to tell it to search or rest <i>n</i> times, but the lack of that is not a dealbreaker at all.

Dayv

Post by Dayv » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:42 pm

OK, I have found a way to deliberately duplicate the behavior I seem to accidentally be triggering: double-tap the directional selection on the throw or zap commands, and the item picker will be translated into a command selection.

I'm not sure how I'm registering double-taps accidentally so often -- maybe it's something about the way I touch the screen or maybe I just have shaky fingers -- but I think something needs to be done in the UI to keep the directional from accepting multiple inputs.

Thanks again!

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:51 pm

Ah, I see it (this also only really manifests when you have a lot of items - direction keys start with "h").

So what happens is you do the gesture for "throw", and a "t" is queued. At some point the game sees the "t" and then prompts "what direction", which the UI notices and then brings up the directional "spider". You tap in a direction - this causes the UI to generate (say) an "h" and dismiss the spider, and then you tap the second time, which does a second "h" (when the directional spider is shown gestures are basically disabled, and only single taps are paid attention to). The game then reads the direction, and says "hey, we need an inventory item", "oh, what's that on the input queue but the letter 'h' for the inventory item" (and only then does the UI notice "hey, we need an inventory item" and display the inventory picker).

Its basically a classic "race" condition, but I should be able to fix it....

hpn

another throwing problem??

Post by hpn » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:33 pm

After "throw" command, there comes list of weapons. So, I can throw only weapons. I can't throw potions or other objects.
Is this a bug or a limit?
I hope I can throw any object I have.

Thank you. I love your Rogue on iPhone.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:03 am

In Rogue, you can only throw weapons. In NetHack you can throw potions and other stuff.

hpn

Post by hpn » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:05 am

Ok, I see.

I reached Lv15 once. It's very very hard!

Steerpike

Post by Steerpike » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:58 pm

Hi there, first of all, thanks for a great port of Rogue.
I'm getting this bug almost every time I try to throw an arrow, it can be quite frustrating. Infact, I made it down to level 15 and ended up throwing my mace because of this bug, leaving me weaponless. Which of course lead me to an untimely death :(
Any news on when it could be patched?

Thanks again,
S

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:59 am

I should have it fixed internally, but in the mean time I've completely broken it while expanding the underlying library that is shared between it and NetHack (which means that the 1.1 release will be a harbinger of the NetHack release).

yabusama

Any manual workaround?

Post by yabusama » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:29 pm

First off, I can't thank you enough for this port. Rogue was my first video game addiction at the dawn of the PC and to finally have in my hands on my daily commute so that perhaps someday I might actually find the Amulet of Yendor has made my Iphone worth having! I'm going to look around for a donate button and throw 25 bucks your way for this.

Can you think of a way of avoiding the throw bug by doing something manually? Like not making a certain motion first or dropping and picking something up before throwing or something? This bug will probably cost me an Iphone at some point as I want to smash it at least once a week when this happens and an important item hits a badie. Thanks, best technology ever!

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:21 pm

The core of the problem is that double-tapping gets confused with gestures - so be careful to not try to tap in the same location twice while throwing stuff. I know, a little vague ("it hurts when I do this...") but that's what it is.

carnivean

Post by carnivean » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:41 am

My workaround is to press and hold rather than tapping when selecting a direction. This causes a double-move when you move without picking up, but always works perfectly for throwing and zapping etc.

yabusama

Post by yabusama » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:09 pm

thanks carnivean, that is a perfect workaround never fails

mcc
IQ Test: Orange

Re: Rogue bug -- throwing (and zapping) problems

Post by mcc » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:34 pm

Hi, I came in to report this bug. I see it has already been fixed, but there is a second part to the bug I have encountered:
In Rogue, you can only throw weapons. In NetHack you can throw potions and other stuff.
Actually twice now I have seen my character in Rogue randomly throw a non-weapon item (once a potion, once a scroll) when I was trying to throw something else. I got a message like "the scroll killed the wombat". This is something that would actually be sorta useful if it could be triggered on purpose but at random it just means valuable items disappear without warning! I do not know if this is the same as the double-tapping bug tho.