First impressions and enhancement request

Discussion of Rogue and NetHack for iPhone
gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:23 am

So you're saying that you've got an items called "0 rations"?

Internally, there is "FOOD" which is either "RATION" or "FRUIT". RATION have a quantity, FRUIT do not. One FOOD/RATION is described as "some food" while more than one is "# rations of food". When you pick up more FOOD which is RATION, it will combine it with any existing FOOD/RATION object (increasing the quantity), or just add that as a new item in your inventory if you have no FOOD/RATION.

So looking at the code, I'm not sure how it would destroy an existing object (the current rations) and replace them with the new one...

rogueXknight

Post by rogueXknight » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:51 pm

I just thought I'd say: I just started playing Rogue today, at 18, and I'm a girl.

There is hope for the younger generations yet! And I prefer the text-based version, too. I'm addicted to this game. I would've been addicted to it sooner had I known about it.

Thanks for making rogue available at iTunes! I never would have learned about this game otherwise!

Aquaman

Nice port!

Post by Aquaman » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:49 pm

Wow thanks so much for porting this, and your control scheme is really promising. Nethack has me salivating, and I'd donate for a port of Angband for sure!

Thanks for being responsive on this board - I didn't know that tapping and holding would multi-rest - that's great to know. Should be in the manual.

Couple of smallish things:

a) I was able to drop a cursed weapon, even though I couldn't unequip it. That probably isn't right.

b) The commands list has "fight to death" twice, sharing the glyph for "fight until hurt".

c) How about a swipe (from lower right to center, for instance) for "repeat last action", which would make things like firing arrows or throwing stuff a little less annoying?

d) How about allowing diagonal moves from doorways!

Anyway, GREAT app, I'll follow your roguelike port announcements with great anticipation!

bdeastman
IQ Test: Orange

Re: First impressions and enhancement request

Post by bdeastman » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:57 pm

1) Bless you. Rogue was my first addiction. Way better than smack. :)

2) Curses!! Now I'll never get anything done.

3) I'd appreciate the "Call" command. I've died a couple times because I couldn't remember which wand was drain life and which was slow monster.

4) Can you point me towards an online guide to the monsters, items, etc? My file died with my 286, and I don't want to admit to having enough time to recreate it.

5-10) Thanks!

Zombie Dachshund

Re: First impressions and enhancement request

Post by Zombie Dachshund » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:35 pm

bdeastman wrote: 4) Can you point me towards an online guide to the monsters, items, etc? My file died with my 286, and I don't want to admit to having enough time to recreate it.
Here's a list of spoilers:
http://www.steelypips.org/nethack

and a Gazetteer (with a guide to the dungeon):
http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/gazetteer/

Have fun!

I'm so looking forward to Nethack on my iPhone. I've been enjoying Rogue to no end (not very good at it, though.) I saw somebody else playing it on the subway the other day: it was hard not to stand over his shoulder and kibitz!