First impressions and enhancement request

Discussion of Rogue and NetHack for iPhone
fideaux

First impressions and enhancement request

Post by fideaux » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:29 pm

THANK YOU

although I am certain to spend more time unproductively. Put up a tip jar for those of us who want to give back.

Overall, great app.
Seems crashy if you go into the Help page. Didn't really give that case a workout though.
I too notice a bug when throwing something; it occasionally will ask you if you want to eat food instead of choose an item to throw.
Is checking inventory supposed to cost a turn?
Would be nice to save a game, to guard against crashes.
See iRogue http://roguelike-palm.sourceforge.net/iRogue for a very nice port. Things it did that I miss in your version:
1) Two-level map display; all-level and closer-in. The characters in the iphone version are mighty small. I bet a clear majority of this app's users are >40yo.
2) Multi-turn Wait command. For when you want to stay in place for n turns. This would replace a lot of single taps.
3) The katana*. And while I'm at it, the create object scroll. Yes that's cheaty but I like it.

* http://roguelike-palm.sourceforge.net/i ... yguide.txt

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:43 pm

Yes, checking inventory is suppose to cost a turn.

In general, I consider the graphic mode to be the "closer-in" version (it's pretty easy to rotate back and forth to see the immediate area/entire level). Switching on the "character based graphics" can also help (depending on how use to the original ASCII version you are or not).

Multi-turn wait can be accomplished by tap & hold in the middle (just like multi-space walk can be done by tap & hold in one of the directions).

The game itself is basically a wrapper around Rogue Clone IV (v2.1.99), so whatever commands/monsters/weapons/capabilities it has is what is in this (and yes, that does include "wizard mode", though I'm not going to say how to invoke it/use it).

Dayv

Post by Dayv » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:26 pm

Checking inventory is supposed to take a turn?

Why?

It doesn't take a turn if you do it from the Commands menu, only when you double-tap the center.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:41 pm

Unfortunately, a double tap is a single tap followed by a second tap - and when the first tap comes in, there is no way to know if this is a single tap, or the first of a double tap (short of adding a delay, which would cause everything to be "laggy"). And a single tap in the middle = "rest a turn".

You can use the inventory command from the command picker and avoid this.

Dayv

Post by Dayv » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:26 pm

If any sensible gestures are available, I think it would be good to add a non-doubletap one for inventory...

Sorry if it seems like I have too many nits to pick -- I really am happy to have this app.

untergeek

Feature Request

Post by untergeek » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:01 am

I love your port of Rogue! I have spread the word around to my other geek friends.

I would love it if this game could save state when a call comes in or I need to exit when I'm doing well (but have to stop).

Can a state save on exit be added? Better yet, can the game be saved? These features may or may not have existed in the original Rogue, but it would be nice if they were in this port.

fauzia1

Post by fauzia1 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:02 pm

Thank you so much for this - I have been looking for this for many years - I won't say how many! Am still learning the ins and outs but wondered like the last person whether individual games could be saved or if that's a feature in a for-sale version ... look forward to hearing from you and thanks so much again!

Nanocore

time sucker!

Post by Nanocore » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:54 am

OK, so yes, I am with the OP and am over 40 and yes all other games have now taken a back seat to this one. As for the level map, I just turn the phone and check out the landscape version. Works adequate for me, so far. Now I know it has been in excess of 15 years since I played Rogue (I mainly played Moria and then Angband), but I thought there was a bit more food that would show up. I am still in the early levels, and have hoarded the food that I have found and it hasn't been enough. I have even waited until I get weak before consuming and still eventually die from hunger.

Any way good job on the time-sucker!!

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:58 am

So if you're saying "it doesn't save correctly when a phone call comes in", that's a bug I'm investigating.

If you're saying "it doesn't save when I hit the Home button and later relaunch the app" then that's a bug that I'm not aware of (because that's worked fine for me on all my devices, on multiple firmware revs).

If you're asking for an explicit "save now" command (in case it crashes), that will probably be in the next update.

If you're asking for the ability to save/restore a game while playing (so you can restore if you die) then there are no plans to do that (an integral part of basically all roguelikes is "permadeath", and changing that would radically alter the game play experience and balance).

gandreas
Immortal

Re: time sucker!

Post by gandreas » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:11 am

Nanocore wrote:Now I know it has been in excess of 15 years since I played Rogue (I mainly played Moria and then Angband), but I thought there was a bit more food that would show up. I am still in the early levels, and have hoarded the food that I have found and it hasn't been enough. I have even waited until I get weak before consuming and still eventually die from hunger.
Food in rogue is annoyingly scarce - usually, so long as you keep going down (rather than searching/clearing every level), you'll end up dying before you run out of food (and finding food going back up is even worse).

Also, wearing rings will cause you to go through more food (unless you've got the ring of slow digestion).

fauzia1

Post by fauzia1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:30 am

Actually, I was asking whether it could be saved at all - not necessarily to avoid death, but just save a good game. It's so addictive and impossible to devote more than an hour to it at once, and you don't want to have to start from scratch every single time ...
Despite it not being the nature of the game - that would be the one thing that would make it perfect. From what you said though, it seemed like saving it was possible using the Home button? What would be the equivalent on the Ipod Touch? Thanks! tip jar???

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:57 am

Basically, it should save automatically when you press that (physical) button on the device below the screen (that's got a white rectangle on it). And then when you relaunch it (tap on the icon), it should pick up right where you left off - if it doesn't, there is a bug...

darkforest

Post by darkforest » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:47 pm

I'd really love it if there was some way to manually save. The auto save is great, but it would be nice to play with different characters. More importantly, it's incredibly saddening to get a few levels down, only to lose all your progress from one of the game crashes.

Another awesome option would be a new command: "rest until healed". That way you don't have to endlessly tap or run back and forth.

Love the game, thanks so much for porting!!!

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:50 pm

Not sure I can promise many changes in the saving system (though I have made some improvements to make it more robust in general), especially since the rogue code is written assuming that "save will quit".

If you tap and hold, it will do an "autorepeat" tap (so you can rest by tapping and holding in the center of the screen).

Rerednaw

Food?

Post by Rerednaw » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:54 am

I'm not sure if this is from the original code. Whenever food is picked up, food that you are carrying disappears.

I found this out because I was trying to horde food. I picked up 3 stacks of 4 rations...and then I picked up 'some food'. I ended up with 'some food' and 0 rations.