some more rogue suggestions and weirdness.

Discussion of Rogue and NetHack for iPhone
jazzrogue

some more rogue suggestions and weirdness.

Post by jazzrogue » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:03 am

thanks so much for porting this game, and for free at that... I second the motion to set up a tip jar of some sort.

I played more Moria and Angband in my hayday - I came to rogue far too early in life (I used to play it on my uncle's laptop when I was 10/11, but never made it very far). as such, I'm not too sure what is different in this version from the original(s). I feel like I should be able to throw potions, especially paralysis potions, at enemies, though. I know that this can be done in the DOS version, but I don't know if it paralyses enemies... I'll be sure to test this at work tomorrow.

A "quit" feature with "are you sure?" prompt would be nice, too - if i drink a blindness potion in the first minute of playing, i'd normally rather start over straight away than wait to die or regain sight.

the weird thing: i also somehow brought up the options menu (the one where you can change the fruit name, etc.) directly on the map screen once - i think i was trying to zap a wand at the time, but i don't remember for sure.

you freaking rock, btw. i'm playing too much rogue.

gandreas
Immortal

Re: some more rogue suggestions and weirdness.

Post by gandreas » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:07 am

jazzrogue wrote:thanks so much for porting this game, and for free at that... I second the motion to set up a tip jar of some sort.
Nothing stopping you from perusing my other iPhone products <http://www.gandreas.com/products_iphone.html> and purchasing one that seems interesting (hows that for subtle)
I played more Moria and Angband in my hayday - I came to rogue far too early in life (I used to play it on my uncle's laptop when I was 10/11, but never made it very far). as such, I'm not too sure what is different in this version from the original(s). I feel like I should be able to throw potions, especially paralysis potions, at enemies, though. I know that this can be done in the DOS version, but I don't know if it paralyses enemies... I'll be sure to test this at work tomorrow.
I think that is only in NetHack - the code for Rogue only allows for throwing weapons.
A "quit" feature with "are you sure?" prompt would be nice, too - if i drink a blindness potion in the first minute of playing, i'd normally rather start over straight away than wait to die or regain sight.
That's a good idea...
the weird thing: i also somehow brought up the options menu (the one where you can change the fruit name, etc.) directly on the map screen once - i think i was trying to zap a wand at the time, but i don't remember for sure.
This may be one of those "double tap in a direction" problem, which will be fixed in the 1.0.1 update.

jazzrogue

Post by jazzrogue » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:31 pm

i'll check out your other apps... =P

i forgot (until i played again today), you've got "fight to death" twice in the command menu, once with the symbol for fight to death, and once with the symbol for fight until hurt.

i'm so ridiculously addicted to ascii text dungeon crawl games.... argh!