hidden doorways and food

Discussion of Rogue and NetHack for iPhone
fauzia1

hidden doorways and food

Post by fauzia1 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:57 pm

Hi there,

I've been doing nothing but playing this since I rediscovered it recently. This forum's been great but I still have a couple questions. Besides the hunger problem ... I've been lost looking for an exit several times. I've tried searching both from the command menu and swiping left to right many many times and never once found a single hidden exit. Is repetition just the only solution, or is there a specific area for the swipes? Half the time I get the "throw what" prompt? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:14 pm

Make sure that your swipes are from the top left "quadrant" to the top right "quadrant" (I suppose that "nondrant" would be more accurate since the grid is 3x3). If the swipe goes through the middle, it becomes a throw command (there's no specific "search in this direction" command or anything like that, just a generic "search")

But otherwise, yeah, it normally takes multiple searches to find a hidden exit. I usually give up after 5 unless I know for sure that there is an exit (if you're going through a tunnel that suddenly becomes a dead end, there is almost always an hidden door - obviously searching a wall is harder since you don't know exactly where on the wall to search).