Rogue -- Immediate Crash Problem

Discussion of Rogue and NetHack for iPhone
Chris-M

Rogue -- Immediate Crash Problem

Post by Chris-M » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:03 pm

Grabbed this for my iPhone earlier this week and have loved every minute I've been playing it. The last night, a couple hours after the last time I played it, I fired it up to continue the game I was playing, and the app crashed right after it shows the sideways ascii "opening credits" screen. It now does this every time I try to play. I hadn't synced between the last time I played and the first crash, and haven't installed anything new to the phone. I tried a restore, but that didn't work either.

I guess my next step is going to be to remove the app from my iPhone and to try reinstalling it. I don't mind doing that, but I do have some fear that this is going to happen again.

I just wanted to bring this to your attention. I wish I had some details that might prove helpful in identifying a bug here, but I really can't think of anything. There was and is absolutely nothing different I can think of from the last time it worked to now.

--Chris

Erolgo

Post by Erolgo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:06 pm

Yeah exactly the same! The only game I wanted for the iPhone, been hanging out for it for ages, stoked that you've ported, it, but... concerned by inexplicable random crash!
Luckily only on level 2, not far into a game, I went back to desktop, and next time I started Rogue it crashed after the credits screen. Rebooted, same thing. Uninstalled and reinstalled and it hasn't done it since. But, what if I were on the 400th level with a backpack full of wands and hands covered in rings with the most awesomest sword you can imagine and it happened then?? I'd be proper upset.
A scary prospect, but not scary enough to stop me playing.
Looking forward to Nethack. Mmm, nethack.

Cakeal
IQ Test: Orange

Re: Rogue -- Immediate Crash Problem

Post by Cakeal » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:57 am

Ditto, everything from excited being excited to be able to play this on my iphone :) , to the exact same hang on the credits screen - (pops right back to the iphone main menu) . This occured after leaving a game by hitting the iphone home button. I went right back in to make sure it was going to 'save' the game, but now I can't even get back in. I tried rebooting, syncing but no such luck... very sad .. will wait briefly for a reply before deleting the app and reinstalling, in case there is a dump or something I can send while I can still recreate the problem!

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:07 pm

At some point the save game file became corrupted - not sure how or why, but it did. And there's no easy way around that currently except to deinstall and reinstall.

RefriedNoodle
IQ Test: Orange

Post by RefriedNoodle » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:17 pm

Same problem here. I got Rogue after seeing it mentioned in Edge's list of 50 cool iPhone games (congrats on that, btw). I thought i would like to see how up-to-date the save would be if Rogue got interrupted by a call. I played for less than a minute, pressed Home, and now the game won't start any more. Now i was really looking forward to Rogue (and Nethack), but i regret to say that this is a show-stopping bug for me.