Angband (another roguelike) on iphone?

Discussion of Rogue and NetHack for iPhone
chem

Angband (another roguelike) on iphone?

Post by chem » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:50 pm

Hello,

I recently learned about your port of Rogue to iphone. It looks awesome! It's great to see a roguelike true port to iphone finally happen. Nice use of UIKit too! Angband is another roguelike, decended from Moria in the early 1980s. It has an active playerbase and communicative development team, including an OS X carbon port, but no active OS X cocoa developer. We've had some talk about an iphone port here:
http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=914

There's also lots of other Angband talk at that site. Have you ever played this roguelike? It's true hack-and-slash fun.

Anyway, if you could have a look, I'm hoping you become interested enough in Angband to one day perhaps consider porting it to iphone too. Many of us would give you great thanks (and donations). I'm definitely downloading Rogue to add to your stats.

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:12 pm

Ideally, I'd like to port it after I get NetHack done, if for no other reason than the high quality tile set that is available. Part of what is taking so long on the NetHack port is making the "gandreas rogue-like iphone modules" (aka GRIM) - a set of classes that should make it easy for me to port additional rogue-like games (it abstracts away the game from the UI, complete with abstractions for tile images, various other user interactions, etc...)

So short answer is "yes" (assuming I've got the time)

TheFennec

Post by TheFennec » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:03 pm

gandreas wrote:Ideally, I'd like to port it after I get NetHack done, if for no other reason than the high quality tile set that is available. Part of what is taking so long on the NetHack port is making the "gandreas rogue-like iphone modules" (aka GRIM) - a set of classes that should make it easy for me to port additional rogue-like games (it abstracts away the game from the UI, complete with abstractions for tile images, various other user interactions, etc...)

So short answer is "yes" (assuming I've got the time)
As stated previously, I would be highly interested in this also and will support and donate.

I will gladly donate when Nethack is finished, and also when there is progress with Angband or some variant thereof!

Aquaman

Post by Aquaman » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:47 pm

I would also support a port of Angband (the newest v is up to 3.1 or so and has a ton of really great refinements). Keep up the great work!

xvs07

Post by xvs07 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:00 am

I registered just now to represent for Crawl Stone Soup. Andrew Doull of ASCII Dreams said it best when he described CSS as a "well-rounded, tactically rich roguelike, rewarding intelligent game play over mindless hacking." Rogue, Nethack, and Angband are great games that everyone should try, but I urge you to give Crawl YASD or two if you haven't.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/

gandreas
Immortal

Post by gandreas » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:10 am

It's unclear if the AppStore will approve something that uses Lua to provide an "extension" mechanism. It may be OK given that there would be no way for the end user to use their own extensions, but I'm not sure...

xvs07

Post by xvs07 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:11 pm

Ah. Didn't know about that. I'll just have to wait and see. Maybe between App Store and Android Market someone'll be able to crank out a version in the next few years.