I won!

Discussion of Rogue and NetHack for iPhone

I won!

Post by carnivean » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:19 pm

It's pretty much over once you get back to level 17 or so. I didn't get any useful wands, my only good ring was Dex+2, didn't get a ton of strength or gain level potions. I got a bunch of enchant weapon and armor scrolls, though. At the I found out I had a +4/+2 two-handed sword and +4 plate mail, so with str I was +7 to hit, +5 to damage, and AC11. Once I was down to level 20 or so I didn't have to run from anything anymore, I was running over jabberwocks, griffins, and finally even dragons without needing to use anything.

I always thought that I would end up winning with a lucky item combo like ring of teleportation & remove curse, but it looks like there's no substitute for really good weapons and armor and just tanking through everything.

Edit: Eagerly anticipating Nethack, I've never beat that, even with all the cool things you can do like pet farming merchants, polypiling, recharging wishes, etc

Post by gandreas » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:12 pm

You are, as far as I know, the first person in the entire world to have actually won.

Make sure to get my your device UUID so I can get you a beta of Nethack - that aught to keep you busy...

I won too!

Post by Suede » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:42 pm

I echo what was said here. After trying what seemed hundreds of times, I finally ascended. Funny enough, I was ready to say it was impossible to win, but I decided to give it one more try. I was also able to combo armor and weapon enchantments to finally win. I had an AC of 14 and my strength was 21 by the time I hit level 20. I have no idea what my two handed sword was, but I had several enchantments for it. I also thought that the key to winning would be finding some powerful wands and several scare monster scrolls. By the time I reached level 20, I was slicing through everything like butter without fear. Great job guys...I can't wait for Nethack. How can I get the Beta? I'd like to do some bug testing! :D