Nethack Save Game Issues

Discussion of Rogue and NetHack for iPhone
faehnle

Nethack Save Game Issues

Post by faehnle » Mon May 18, 2009 2:25 pm

Just wanted to drop a new thread because I'm having issues resurrecting saved games. I can't discern any commonality amongs these events, but sometimes when I save a game (whether through the command menu or by pressing the Home button), it is gone the next time I play.

It seems to only happen the first time I try to save it. (That is, if I can start playing a saved game, then it won't happen at all to that game.)

llemarie
IQ Test: Orange

Re: Nethack Save Game Issues

Post by llemarie » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:17 am

Hi,

Awesome Nethack port, this is excellent.

I'm having what appears to be the same problem as [faehnle]. When starting a new game, I get the dialog "It appears Nethack crashed last time - try to recover game?". This appeared on the first ever run of the game (slightly unsettling), and also appears every time I die. It is always unable to recover anything.
Most of the time when I die, after the tombstone the game quits (just like Rogue does). Is that intentional? Sometimes the game goes back to the character selection dialog, but rarely. This leads me to think that after I die the game crashes, and on the next run the dialog appears.
If I quit during the character selection, I get the crash dialog on the next run every time. Is the dialog simply saying that there is no saved game? Ideally there would always be a valid saved game, even one that says "game not started".

Anyway, very good job on the iPhone adaptation of both Rogue and Nethack. I've bought the unpronounceable Rubik's cube app to show my appreciation.

Regards,
Lionel.

mcc

Post by mcc » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:54 pm

I have also got the "nethack probably crashed. try to resume crashed game?" message every time I play (including on the very first run) however I have not yet had problems recovering save games.

JoeStrout

Post by JoeStrout » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:07 am

I'm having the same problem, to the extent that Nethack is unplayable. This is a bummer, because it's a beautiful port -- I love the gestures system. iNethack is painful to play in comparison. But at least iNethack lets me exit and continue my game later!

My symptoms:

1. I get the "Nethack crashed" dialog on every start, even the very first one right after installing.

2. I get the same thing even when I was previously in the middle of a game -- whether I just hit the Home button, or use the Save & Quit command.

3. When I tell it to go ahead and recover the save file, it is unable to do so, and I end up having to start over.

This is a big huge hairy problem; since the iPhone only allows one app open at a time, I can't just leave the game running until I finish it. So I need to be able to save and continue. Any idea what's going on here?